Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A month of over-analyzing: a "which gun" thread

kreativecid

Seeking input on a new uspsa firearm with the factor of price being the major roadblock. Been on the fence over a month.

Currently my favorite firearm is a STI Spartan 9mm 1911. It feeds, ejects and is accurate. Cost about $750 after magwell, lighter springs, front sight, etc., not counting my time to polish and tweak. Ugly and simple, but my friends refer to it as my "A gun" meaning it hits Alphas all day long (exaggeration, I know).

Disclaimer: I prefer USPSA much more than IDPA but will dabble in the latter a few times a year. I don't want to shoot minor in USPSA singlestack. I'm not a pro wannabe and scoring minor is not the end of the world, but I do like playing on an even field.....and I do like buying a new gun. :D

Sold my Spartan 45 to a friend when the "need" to have super expensive 1911 reared its ugly head. Found out my worked-over Spartan is just as accurate out to 25 yards and I didn't worry about holstering/scratching/abusing the gun. I reload 45acp and still have 5 mags in the closet waiting to be slammed into a 45 1911 magwell.... A new Spartan 45 is $585. Almost a turn-key operation.

Here's the catch: My first steel 9mm was an old CZ75b. I used to shoot Production with polymer and don't do as well vs steel & heavy, and currently the "want" for a new CZ SP01 Shadow is pretty high. Spent way too much time in the past month reading and reviewing and trying to find a deal. The heavy steel CZ may soon be legal in IDPA, but for now it's USPSA Production only. Price after purchase and more mags and holster, action job, etc. could be around $1100 to $1200. I know the gun is the cheapest part of comp shooting but compared to a Spartan/magwell/new springs, etc. it's a lot more to start back in Production. Think of the ammo and lessons and travel/entry fees one could have with the difference.

The 1911 manual of arms has been my muscle memory for the past year. I don't even know if the DA/SA of the CZ & I will get along when the buzzer goes off. I can work on a 1911 blindfolded in the dark. The price is right. The gaming gear is already taken care of. With a 45 & 9mm 1911 I can do 3 divisions/classes in IDPA and USPSA. With the CZ and 9mm 1911 I have 2 pistols that kind of overlap.

But what's keeping me on the fence is the non-gaming side: owning a new completely different firearm would be a nice change of pace for range fun, I like 9mm, I already sold a Spartan 45 (it'd be like marrying the same woman twice)...and I'm frugal/over-analyze/hate buyer's remorse (like I had with my latest polymer 9mm that will be sold after 4 days of testing to no avail).

Apologies for the long-winded post. I've been going over this for quite some time and maybe input from others who may have been down this road can save me time, money and maybe buyer's remorse.

It sounds like to me you just want to replace a safe queen 1911 with a work horse 1911. So do it! :cheers:

Another option is to find a very used CZ 75a and work on it yourself down the road. They can be had fairly cheap if you don't mind the looks. Since your going to be replacing most of the parts anyway old isn't bad.

Definitely! A workhorse 1911 is always good.

Finding a da/sa CZ SP01 Shadow is very difficult. I want the SP01 Shadow for its heft and I already own an old-school CZ75b so going with a CZ75 Shadow isn't that far removed hence this wanting of the full rail da/sa. But the "old isn't bad" sure makes sense as an option....if I can find a used full rail CZ.

It sounds like to me you just want to replace a safe queen 1911 with a work horse 1911. So do it! :cheers:

Another option is to find a very used CZ 75a and work on it yourself down the road. They can be had fairly cheap if you don't mind the looks. Since your going to be replacing most of the parts anyway old isn't bad.

Edited by kreativecid

If you don't mind going down the path less travelled, the Tanfoglio Stock II is a good option if you want an all metal gun for production. In fact, the Stock II is a lot easier to work on than a CZ, but the downside is the availability of aftermarket parts is a lot lower than as compared to a CZ.

Edited by Skydiver

Guns are cheap devices to burn ammunition. I think way to many people focus on the gun they want versus the type (and cost) of ammo they want to burn. If budget is an issue, by a device that burns the most economical ammo if you want to shoot more for the same dollar. Get off the fence and go shoot :cheers:

Guns are cheap devices to burn ammunition. I think way to many people focus on the gun they want versus the type (and cost) of ammo they want to burn. If budget is an issue, by a device that burns the most economical ammo if you want to shoot more for the same dollar. Get off the fence and go shoot :cheers:

I like how you think!

Patrick

I like shooting single stack minor the extra 2 rounds is a nice mental crutch and on many field courses you can take advantage of the extra rounds to make a more effecient stage plan. but that said if you like the feel of a CZ it sounds like a good excuse to me.

Mike