Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newbie Questions about 9 Major

1SOW

I'm trying to learn more about 9mm Luger Major loads using a short chamber before I get the gun. I reload and shoot Production now.

Let me say up front, I appreciate any info/advice that you can pass on.

What are 115 gr and 124gr bullet weight advantages/dis-advantages loading to a max of 1.165"?

Other than being able to reach the 1.165" OAL due to the mags and in a short chamber, what advantages do nose-shapes offer? (FMJ RN vs FP vs HP)

After reaching 170-175PF, what's the best method to tune the load to the comp to make it steady?

I'll rarely be shooting beyond 35 yds and mostly inside 25 yds.

Thanks

Edited by 1SOW

1. What are 115 gr and 124gr bullet weight advantages/ to a max of 1.165"?

2. what advantages do nose-shapes offer? (FMJ RN vs FP vs HP)

3, After reaching 170-175PF, what's the best method to tune the load to the comp to make it steady?

1. in 9mm Major, the case is very small & you need to fill the case with most powders

to make Major with the 115 grain bullet. The 124 grain bullet allows you to back

off and use less powder, which means the case isn't so full (Less likely to spill

during reloading, and less likely to become a compressed load).

So, it's easier/safer to start with the 124 grain bullet when you first start out.

2. JHP's are thought to be more accurate, and the base of the bullet is completely

covered in copper - most others have lead exposed on the base, which is not good

at high temperatures/pressures of 9mm major = will leave your comp covered in lead.

3. Experimenting with different powders/ powder levels/ bullets/ OAL's - read the posts

here re: reloading for 9mm major, and you'll see a fuller explanation - what combo

of powder/levels/bullets you and your gun prefer.

Welcome to 9mm major - by the way, I started out loading 9mm major to 1.145", and now

load to 1.165" in an STI - that's not real short - closer to a typical length for 9mm

major, even though some load out to 1.17 or 1.18".

Good luck,

Jack

Pretty good response Jack. cheers.gif

I'll add with Auto Comp you have plenty of room in the case to load 115's. Nearly all the other preferred 9MAJOR powders pretty much do fill the case.

OP- Some bullet trivia:

FMJ - Exposed lead base.

CMJ - Complete metal jacket so no exposed base.

JHP- Jacket is put on from the bottom so no exposed base.

Don't try plated bullets in an Open gun they generally don't hold up.

Like Jack said use something with no exposed lead base as it tends to clog comps up after awhile.

I load around 1.168 or so with a MG 121 IFP over 7.2 WAC for a 172 PF out of an STI

I'm trying to learn more about 9mm Luger Major loads using a short chamber before I get the gun. I reload and shoot Production now.

What are 115 gr and 124gr bullet weight advantages/dis-advantages loading to a max of 1.165"?

Other than being able to reach the 1.165" OAL due to the mags and in a short chamber, what advantages do nose-shapes offer? (FMJ RN vs FP vs HP)

After reaching 170-175PF, what's the best method to tune the load to the comp to make it steady?

Thanks

I would be careful loading major loads with a short chamber. You risk increasing the pressure to unacceptable levels. With a short chamber, the loaded long bullet might be resting on the lands and thus increases pressure. If you know your barrel is short chambered, have the throat increased to reduce pressure.

Thanks

I would be careful loading major loads with a short chamber. You risk increasing the pressure to unacceptable levels. With a short chamber, the loaded long bullet might be resting on the lands and thus increases pressure. If you know your barrel is short chambered, have the throat increased to reduce pressure.

Thanks to all for the info. It confirms my conclusions from reading the other threads on 9 Major loading.

les: I've loaded all the bullet types and am familiar with CZ oal limitations. The MG124CMJ would probably be my first bullet to give major a try. The MG will load out to well over 2.0" with no rifling/cone contact, but the mags limit OAL to about 1.165-ish. Berry's newer 124HBRN TP (thick plating) is made to run at 1450 in 38 super, so eventually I want to try those too. It will also load long in a Cz chamber, but the mags won't.

I'm looking at (drooling over) a major CZ TS gun, but I'm just trying to get a handle on what I need to get a started IF the $$ suddenly show up.

Thanks again.

Edited by 1SOW

What is the problem with lead and comps?

I have been shooting only lead in all my compensated guns for the last 25 years and have never seen any build up of lead on the comp. Does it hide at the bottom of the comp? Does it supposedly plate around the bullet holes in the comp?

Really, do we have pictures of this lead build-up?

Not true regarding plated bullets not holding up, at least not all plated bullets.

I used to use 124gn Frontier bullets in front of 7.6gns of Silhouette, which generated a 170pf out of my STI Trubor. The bullets never separated or showed any signs of keyholing. Also, for interest sake, Eric G uses Frontier.

I now use the new double plated Berry and it also has no separation issues, and is far more cost effective, and readily available.