Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

airline broke into my gun bag

ErikW

If you can't drive there, then I don't want to go :)

I know a few shooters who ship thier personal weapons/ ammunition and gear by bonded couriers to where ever they go. It always arrives, even if the luggage didn't and no one has cut any locks or pawed thru the contents or because they had to look at the gun drop the slide on an empty chamber or wrist snap the cylinder closed (ala TV). It isn't cheap, but they get there in one piece. Which is alot more than I can say about some of the airlines.

My luggage has more frequent flyer miles than I will ever get.

What will be real interesting is as of  Jan 1st they are saying don't lock your bags so they can hand check for explosives.  Post 9/11 I had a screener at the gate ask if my (carry on) range bag was in fact a range bag.  They asked to swab it specifically to see what reaction they'd get to powder residue etc.  They had been told that smokeless powder residue wouldn't trigger the spectrometer.  They swabbed it all over and came up  empty.  Coming home from SSM3Gun last year I had the Alaska desk ask how many guns were in my hard case,  They claimed I was allowed 3 pistols, or two rifles or two shotguns.....  Turns out its in their contract of carraige, along with a bunch of other bullsxxt rules.... like how many clubs and balls and tees can be in a golf bag before they charge extra.  I fired of a polite letter pointing out how stupid their policy is,  and they actually claimed that they were going to revise it.  Net result, if they ask how many guns are in the bag just say two.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I just found out the source of the original incident (America West breaking into bags in PHX after Area 2)-- this from an airport cop there-- that weekend was the first weekend the new security folks were working, and as they had no clue or training what they were seeing on the x-ray, they were opening up damn near everything.