Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problem with my Para P18/9 LDA

enutees

I just received my Para P18/9 Lda that I bought. It was purchased used as I couldn't find any new ones in Limited and Stainless.

Anyway, I'm having a good bit of reliability issues. My rounds seem to be ramming right into the feed ramp. If I give it a good smack on the rear of the slide it will move forward.

This has happened in several different mags, using my reloads (124 grain Berry RN with 4.1 WW231), Blazer Aluminum, Blazer Brass, and Winchester White Box. I don't think it is ammo related even though my reloads were the worst.

I'm new to the 1911 and not familiar with this problem. What are the common problems that cause this and what are the fixes?

Thanks in advance. I appreciate it.

sounds like you just need a new recoil spring? Try a 10 lb and go lower from there. Alternatively, maybe your mags are dirty or the mag springs worn out. Pretty rare with 10rd 9mm mags, though...

I had the same problem with my P16/40 Limited. Only speaking for myself, I think that the stock Para followers in the magazines suck ass. Every jam that I had was magazine induced. I cleaned my magazines relentlessly, to no avail. I bought Arredondo followers, and never had another jam. The stock followers aren't slick enough to move up the mag tube quick enough to get the next round in place when the slide cycles. Once I changed the followers, I could run standard loads, and long loads at 1.200" oal without a FTF. Buy one $8 Arredondo follower and run 100 rounds through the mag, I bet your problem goes away. ;)

Ok here we go again. Take the follower out and polish the front and the back a couple thousands off. The followers are to long and tie up the mags. Takes about 30 seconds with the fine grit paper. Also dump the Blazer and win white box. They are both very inconsistent.

The inside of the mags just need to be cleaned up and the lips need

a little recontouring-I dont recommend messing with the followers-

except to take any rough edges off-I use the stock followers in all

the para's i work on e-mail me and Ill help ya out!

Jim Anglin

Sailors Custom Pistols

Hope this isnt out of line Brian???

Chriss-I would not doubt any advice given by one of the greatest shooters of all time. There is no question that Jarrett has figured out how to make a Para run like a scalded cat. I also don't work for Arredondo, I just think that he has taken a few products that needed help (made like crap) and improved on them. The Para followers are a good example. The Arredondo followers use the existing springs and drop right in. Yes, you can tinker with the followers and polish them up and get them working better. It is also easy to over do it and render them useless. If you take off too much material, then they will bind up in the tube, a potentially explosive situation.

I'm not trying to dispute your advice, it will work great. Just adding another choice.

Regards,

That's why you only take a couple thousands off. I've never had any luck with the arrendondo followers. I tried them When I first started out with a Para and they were complete junk. They would pop right out the top of the tube and tie the whole damn thing up. Looked like they were made from a clorox bleach jug. Just to flimsy. Switched back to stock followers and talked to TJ no more problems. Then I switched to an STI.

I'm working on going through the list you all have given me.

I've tried some heavier reloads with some success.

I tried longer loads and it improved a bit also.

I went and bought a 10# and a 12# spring to give those a try. I'm also going to try sanding one of the followers. I have 7 mags and it happens on all of them.

This gun has had a trigger job from EGW, but no reliability work. I'll also order one of the Arrendondo followers and give that a shot.

Thanks for all the ideas. My gunsmith is at Area 4 this weekend so no help there. If I can't fix it, it will go to him next week.

Thanks everyone.

I had the same problem with my P16/40 Limited. Only speaking for myself, I think that the stock Para followers in the magazines suck ass. /////The stock followers aren't slick enough to move up the mag tube quick enough to get the next round in place when the slide cycles. )

Interesting. My 1640 also jams with the nose against the ramp. I believe the problem is the ramp is too vertical. I based this on some "slow cycling" and watching the round. The slide comes forward and pushes the round strainght forward and hangs with the nose against the ramp. You can take your hnd away and that 18# spring can not get the slide to push the round up the ramp.......

I should also mention that when you "drop slide" load the gun, you can actually feel the "hitch" where the sldie slams the round into the feed ramp, it bounces up and then chambers. None of my other 1911's had this problem. It became a real issue when I bought some Miwall ammo which apparrently is not crimped as tight and abiout every tenth round would jam and I would find the round driven into the feed ramp and the bullet pushed straight back into the case.

Long story short: much hand work reducing the feed ramp angle and the feeding has much improved. Gun still has other problems.... :angry: