Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 35 Gen 3 Spring

The Guy

That will depend on a bunch of factors, the least of which is bullet weight, per se.

Slide velocity is influenced by the spring weight and the power of the cartridge. For example, if you're shooting 180 grain bullets loaded to 800 fps (a good Minor load for GSSF, Production USPSA, or IDPA), a 15# spring will be too stiff and you'll likely have ejection issues.

Wolff advertises their springs as 10, 11, 12, 14, 15, 16, etc. ISMI sells their's as 11, 13, 15, and 17. Different manufacturers will be slightly different in how they cycle, but not really enough to notice.

Bruce Keeler put an excellent post out there under the topic "Recoil Springs Re-visited" in this section.

There are basically two ways to set up your springs: The way BK describes or the method that Bill Wilson and a lot of other gunsmiths use. Wilson says to use the heaviest spring in the gun that will reliably go to slide lock when the gun is fired from the weak hand.

The way that Bruce describes is better for performance (makes the gun "track" better). The gunsmith way is done solely for reliability. For me, that method gives a spring weight that is about 3-4 pounds too heavy for me.

Personally, I use a 13 in my G-35 and an 11 in my G-24. That's with 170 Power Factor 180 grain bullets.

• 1 month later...

For a major load with a 185 gr Precision moly bullet, I use a 15 pound Wolff spring on an extended length Jaeger steel guide rod in my Gen 3 G35. The gun is set up with a Vanek Super trigger and a BarSto barrel. It functions and tracks just fine with the 15 pound recoil spring.

went out and shot my g35 Tuesday, I am using 180 speer tmj's running at 125-130pf. With the 15# spring the cases barely cleared the gun. I switched to the 13# spring and it seemed better. I only ran about 100 rounds through it so I have more testing to do. I will probably also get a 12 and 11# springs to test them also.

stan