Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Freakin' out 'bout a SX2

Deuce

I'm already more than broke ... I'll be sending a check to Benny this week for a new AR. So, I planned on taking care of the shotgun myself.

Upon checking with my dealer, who couldn't find anyone with a SX2 Practical, I called Winchester and asked if they made any ... she said they shipped "a few" in December and the next shipment is due in October. After some figurin', I ordered the clamp-on turkey sights from Winchester and had my dealer order me a new SX2 3" Field (I'm a sucker for walnut) ... it'll be here tomorrow ... TOO LATE TO CHANGE. ;)

So I'm lookin' around for my accessories. I think I need the, apparently, only SX2 mag-tube from Brownells ... the SRM Performance Products BRN-EXT (for the Browning, but it says it'll fit an SX2 ... that's one on me ... but, it makes sense know that I think of it).

I'm not worried about the arm-carrier ... it sounds like 3gungear is the way to go there. Although, I'm concerned about the velcro side-saddle ... is the velcro glued to the receiver ... or how does that attach ... I gotta believe that glue is worthless when it's warm. :( Or is it just a strap or something ... would that strap stay clear of the action ... I'm sure it's designed to ... but does it? :huh:

Anyhow, while lookin' around for what might be available for my new SX2, I check out Briley and I see this:

For shotguns used in IPSC matches, which have a specific barrel length, only flush mount chokes are used. The barrel is cut at 22 inches directly over the closest rib post. For extended chokes, the barrel will have to be much shorter than 22 inches.

WHAT?! :o

I just ordered a 26" SX2 and had no plans of cutting the bbl (although, at some point, it sounds like that might be a good idea ... when I can afford to have a 'smith do it right).

And what's with all this choke stuff and forcing cone work? The girl at Winchester said I could shoot slugs through the back-bored bbl using IC or M ... which is what I'd prefer to use for shot ... so I thought that'd work fine. But what's wrong with the stock forcing cone?

Anyhow, I did peek around and I realize that some of these topics are covered ... over and over again ... so why should I be any different? :P;)

Seriously, I'm figurin' that there's other 3-gun rulebooks which might restrict max bbl length to 22" ... but, it's my understanding that USPSA has no such restriction ... so what's with the Briley comment?

While I'm at it, how does anyone like the bandoleer? Looks like a good idea to me. And anyone try that Slide-Loc-2-Pac? What about the fore-end carriers?

Which size side-saddle should I get for a 3" SX2? Is the one from 3gungear the way to go for the SX2? Or is there a better option?

Anyone found a better arm-carrier than 3gungear?

I'm sure someone will tell me I shoulda just gone to Benny for the same or less money ... but, the last time I did that it ended up being almost 50% more than I was originally planning to spend ... worth it I'm sure ... but, I gotta stop the bleeding at some point. ;)

Thanks.

Deuce

There are no barrel length restrictions in IPSC.

However they must be of such minimum length so as to conform to any regional legalities.

For Modified Division the complete gun must fit within a box which is 52 inches long. In reality this covers just about all barrel lengths and if anything only restricts mag tubes from getting to silly lengths.

Deuce, uspsa has no max length on shotgug barrels or tubes, just a limit on the number of rds loaded. Most of the others have a max 22 in. barrel and 23 in tube for limited or tactile. Your chokes will be fine, you will use ic most of the time. A 26 in barrel is a long shotgun and at some point you will want to cut it if you shoot limited or tac but as long as you stick with uspsa you can start with that. The 3 gun gear sidesaddle does use adhesive on the velcro but stays on fine, just use something to get the oil off the gun before you put it on, the arm band works well. The sidesaddle, a armband and a choat belt rack or two will serve you well. Personal prefernce deal but I don't like bandolers. Larry

Deuce, as a futher note, I don't know what you gave for the winchester but if you can kill that deal talk to Benny about a stoger or a traditions shotgun. They run, shoot well and are a lot less bucks. I shoot a traditions and love it, 100% reliable, works with all slugs and ammo and uses remingtion tubes & can be had with walnut. Larry

My remington has had the same 3gungear side saddle on for years, in the AZ sun IN SUMMER and its still on there.

The 22 inch rule is an old rule from the Soldier of Fortune match. USPSA does not follow it and neither does North American Tactical. Rocky Mountain 3 Gun does have this rule (benelli shooters you know). You'll end up getting a shorter barrel than 26, believe me.

Briley will cut the barrel to any length you want. They were referring to certain matches which DID limit the lenth of the barrel. And BTW-any extension tube(i.e. Briley) that will work on a Browning Gold will work on a SX2. Side saddle-3GunGear "canted" 7 shot fits well and works great. And FWIW-don't use any type of side saddle that uses screws to hold it to the receiver. The Browning/Winchester receiver is aluminum, and will flex and tweek your trigger group best case-worse case it will destroy your receiver. Plus-you have to take the damn thing off every time you want to clean your internals.

Thanks for the reassurance gentlemen!

My SX2 arrived, on schedule, Friday ... man what a nice stock on that thing! I really didn't expect it to look that nice.

The sights I ordered for it were there when I got home as well.

I expect the tube to arrive sometime this week so, in no time, it'll look like a "practical" shotgun ... sorta. I'll bring it to the trap shoot this Thursday to try it out so I expect a lot of looks and criticism (ex. "You gotta take them sights off there if you wanna hit anything"). Good thing I suck already or I'd never hear the end of it. ;)

They're a good bunch of guys so, at some point, I might even be able to get 'em to pull a round as fast as I can shoot at 'em (note, I said "shoot at 'em" not simply "shoot 'em" :unsure: )

I'm married but in an open relationship. My wife knows what I'm up to and she has the same freedoms that I do.

Lol, you know, people tell me the same thing when I take my Gold out of the case.. "Such pretty wood". or "When are you going to get a synthetic stock?". Um why? This is the same gun I take into the duck blind with me, why should I baby it?

If it gets a little dinged up, then it gets dinged up, I bought it to shoot, not to baby. :lol:

I use the stock 28" tube (did I mention I use it for hunting in the off season?) and to cut down the barrel would just make me cringe. New barrels are like $450 each. Ugh! :blink:

Vince