Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

powders for Hornady 9mm 147gr. HP/XTP bullets

p5200

I may be wrong, but I don't believe that specific models of guns

or specific bullets require specific powders to work well.

My understanding is that Your Specific gun will shoot differently

than the same model belonging to someone else, but basically the

usual list of 9mm powders are all to be tested in Your Gun with

Your bullets, and you'll have to see which You prefer best yourself.

Reading the reloading 9mm section will list WW231, N320, Solo and

TG, and a few others = good place to start.

Good luck - this is The Fun Part of shooting - making Your Gun

the Best it can be.

Jack

Right now, I have a pound of WIN 231 and a pound of Accurate #7 I also, have some Hornady 115gr bullets due to arrive tomorrow. I'll go through my different loading manuals and see what I can work up. Thanks very much! :cheers:

Right now, I have a pound of WIN 231 and a pound of Accurate #7 I also, have some Hornady 115gr bullets due to arrive tomorrow. I'll go through my different loading manuals and see what I can work up. Thanks very much! :cheers:

I use WW231 for 147 gr bullets and 115 gr bullets -

works pretty well.

I haven't tried AA7.

Good luck.

Jack

what exactly do you mean by 'work good'

what kind of velocity are you looking for? if you're looking for max velocity (for hunting or self-defense), you'll probably want a slower powder than many folks here use.

vihtavuori lists loads for that bullet with n320, n330 and several other of their powders.

hodgdon also lists 8 or so different powders with that bullet in 9mm

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

I've used the xtp in .40 with n320. shoots softer than factory loads with only a very slight decrease in velocity, plus it's what I had lying around. I don't immediately see test data for that bullet with 231.

Edited by motosapiens

what kind of velocity are you looking for? if you're looking for max velocity (for hunting or self-defense), you'll probably want a slower powder than many folks here use.

vihtavuori lists loads for that bullet with n320, n330 and several other of their powders.

I've used the xtp in .40 with n320. shoots softer than factory loads with only a very slight decrease in velocity, plus it's what I had lying around. I don't immediately see test data for that bullet with 231, but isn't hs6 the same thing?

NO. HP-38 and 231 are the same.

HS-6 is identical to Winchester's discontinued 540.

Edited by superdude

My main interest is in accuracy/shooting groups from 15 to 25yds. at the most, just for my own amusement. It's going to be hard to tell when I get a good load worked up when I can't shoot worth a crap to begin with though. :lol: But it will be fun any way and I appreciate all you kind folks help! :D

Edited by p5200

My main interest is in accuracy/shooting groups from 15 to 25yds. at the most, just for my own amusement. It's going to be hard to tell when I get a good load worked up when I can't shoot worth a crap to begin with though. :lol:

P5200, if you have some of those expensive bullets lying around,

they're very valuable. I wouldn't waste them in plinking and

casual shooting.

Much cheaper to get a box of Montana Gold 115 grain bullets and

shoot them - or local lead bullets - save the xtp's until you need them.

Jack

I've used the xtp in .40 with n320. shoots softer than factory loads with only a very slight decrease in velocity, plus it's what I had lying around. I don't immediately see test data for that bullet with 231, but isn't hs6 the same thing?

NO. HP-38 and 231 are the same.

HS-6 is identical to Winchester's discontinued 540.

thanks for the correction. I should have looked before speculating. I edited my original post.