Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

worthless gift certificates

esoogfish

Looks like this is the place for general complaining.....  At the 2001 Steel Challenge I received a certificate from International Handgun Leather (Phoenix) for a "Sharksin belt, holster, and magpouch combo" valued at $543.00. I now know why everyone says take something that you can pick up there.....  I started with the "thank You" letter and order form, followed by the what's up letter, the where's my prize letter and a personal visit while at the Dillon Match.  The owner (who's name I've forgotten) claimed that he was behind and my Prize was the next one out the door.  After 15 months I've given up hope of collecting, but would personally suggest not doing buisness with them.  

I win a certificate from the same place at SSMM3G a few years ago.  My certificate was just for a holster, belt and a single mag carrier. All plain leather not shark like your and for him to get that to me it took him almost a year to get it to me. I just kepp calling and calling and it finally did show up. I even heard the same things it's the next one out the door, I'll be mailing it this week. Just keep on the guy.  I figure the guy will give these as a tax write off and hopes nobody will redeem them.

Colt

My first article was published in the Dec '89 Petersen's Handguns on "Pro Line's High-Grade Horsehide Handgun Leather." In case you don't recognize the name "Pro Line Handgun Leather," I should mention they've since changed their name to Kramer Handgun Leather. That was a pretty good article, if I do say so myself, and when it hit, orders for Greg Kramer's holsters went through the roof. It was nuts, we're talking literally hundreds of orders a day. On one memorable day - if memory serves me correctly, it was a Thursday - Greg literally got 300 orders in the mail. When all was said and done, he had about 2,000-2,500 back orders. It became obvious that, even working like a madman, it was going to take him two-plus years to fill them all.

Greg was beside himself, he didn't want to make customers wait that long, he was afraid they'd be mad, this was so much longer than his previous lead time. I suggested he simply send a letter to everyone who'd placed an order letting them know what had happened, that due to response to the article it would take him longer - in some cases a LOT longer - to fill their orders. And offer them their money back if they couldn't wait. Greg, being the sort of guy he is, also offered anyone who wanted a refund to add 10 % to the amount when he sent it back to them.

You know how many people said, "I can't wait that long," and asked for their money back? Three. People don't get pissed when things take longer than they expected. And I said this to Greg when I suggested this approach. They get pissed when things take longer than they expected, you ignore them, and they don't know what the hell is going on.

By random coincidence I ran into a guy with a set of IHL sharkskin gear.  He also won a cert at the Steel Challenge years ago, and said his took 9 months to get.  So there still may be hope, just don't expect it by x-mas

• 1 month later...

Surprise, Surprise, surprise.....  Came home today to find a phone message from "Ian" of International Handgun Leather.  Seems like the complaint I filed with the AZ Better Business Bureau had more effect than the nasty letters and pleading.  He says my holster belt combo will ship Thursday by Fed-X overnight, and he’s really really sorry.  (Also says he has called the BBB to tell them my complaint has been resolved).  I’ll let you know Friday how it looks.  

Friday Afetrnoon.... My stuff was waiting on the doorstep.  It's beutifull!!!! I can honestly say I'd reccommend the QUALITY of the stuff from IHL.  (waiting 16 months is still not right, but they did come through with the goods.) Now I've got something nice to wear when the wife makes me dress up......