Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Visual start stage ideas?

Skydiver

Anybody have any ideas for a visual start stage? I actually took time to read the manual on my CED7000 while I was trying to figure out how long to recharge it.

Anyway, I just discovered that it's AUX output sends out a 5V signal. This would be perfect for a visual start stage I think if that signal can turn on a light, open a port, pop open a box containing the gun, or get a swinger moving.

Any other suggestions for a visual start stage?

The only other part I need to figure out is how to setup a quick release that will survive the entire day of a match when I disconnect the timer to go chase after the shooter if the stage design is more than a short course or speed shoot that has more than one shooting position. I think that keeping the jack in the timer will be the best for the health of my timer, but for the other end do you think those 3.5mm mono jacks can take the punishment of being yanked out quickly about 60-80 times is there some better quick release electrical contact out there? Probably has to be a quick connect as well to minimize the fuzzing around while getting the next shooter ready.

• 6 months later...

I say keep the COF close anything short distance and it can stay attached. you could run it to a radio switch carry a pack on your peson, electric motors, locks, etc can control anything timer to the switch for the radio control.. just my thoughts.. wires end up getting broken.

At Pioneer Gun Club (outside of Kansas City) they use timers attached to radio remotes to control the plate rack, and the turning targets. From what I understood it was fairly new, but it worked pretty well out to 25 yards on everything except the barricade.

Several of their crew posts here (at least in the Bianchi/NRA Action Pistol section), maybe they can chime in.

Edited by PPGMD

All of these are electronically activated. Auto power door locks, trunk latches are cheap DC "triggers" as salvage.

You will need a 5v (input) relay that will switch enough 12 volt current for the prop you use as the 5v output is very low current.

th_autotargets.jpg

Here is another one that is triggered by a shock sensor at the first shot but it could take off from a start signal too.

th_aug143.jpg

If you don't want to move the timer around just start and end the stage from the same position, all you need for time is the last shot.

...If you don't want to move the timer around just start and end the stage from the same position, all you need for time is the last shot.

Nope. You need the timer catching the last shot, but you can't depend that the stage will be completed as planned.

If the competitors gun breaks in the middle of the stage, he should get the score he shot. Not an automatic reshoot, because you can't record an accurate time.

All of these are electronically activated. Auto power door locks, trunk latches are cheap DC "triggers" as salvage.

You will need a 5v (input) relay that will switch enough 12 volt current for the prop you use as the 5v output is very low current.

th_autotargets.jpg

Here is another one that is triggered by a shock sensor at the first shot but it could take off from a start signal too.

th_aug143.jpg

If you don't want to move the timer around just start and end the stage from the same position, all you need for time is the last shot.

that stage in video 2 looks amazing.

I use a remote control relay like this:

http://www.smarthome.com/7746A/SECO-LARM-SK-910RBQ-1-Ch-RF-Receiver-315MHz/p.aspx

I open up the remote and wire the NO contacts of a tiny low-current 5V relay in parallel with the button on the remote. I then wire the coil through a current limiting resistor to a 3.5mm plug to the timer. I use CED 8000 timers, but it sounds like the AUX output on the CED 7000 is the same. With this setup, you can either push the button on the timer to manually activate the remote control relay, or the relay will be activated when the timer beeps.