Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield Range Officer Vs. XDm 5.25

I'm looking to buy my first handgun and I think I have narrowed it down to the SA 1911 Range Officer and the XDm 5.25 (in .45)

My main hobby is international skeet shooting and wanted to get into 3-gun shoots along with IDPA and USPSA and steel matches as a break from my main event. I just plan on doing it for fun and using my 870 and mini-14 that I've slightly modified. I also want a gun I can use as a carry gun from time to time but mainly a competition gun. I want a gun that is highly accurate, dependable, and durable. Don't need anything fancy and I'm on a budget but I also want something I can modify and upgrade as I get the money.

Anyone have any advice or opinions on these two guns? I'm having a real tough time deciding between the two

Thanks

Edited by USASkeet shooter

Well the Xdm is a fanastic pistol, but if I had to just buy one pistol I would have to go with a 1911. On the other hand, the XDm could be a little more flexible for all around, but the XDm might be better in a different caliber. XDm in 9mm would be great for 3gun and USPSA production, but in IDPA you'll get thrown into ESP(enhanced service pistol). With an XDm .45 you could do limited 10 and Maybe CDP? I don't know much about that division maybe someone else can chime in, but I'm not even sure you can use the XDm, but I think it's dominated by 1911's which could be a slight disadvantage with the XDm. In the end, you should buy the gun that you will shoot the most. If you're a member of a club go out in the pistol area and inquire about different guns. Most people won't mind if you run a couple rounds through their pistol. It's hard to find an all around pistol that is great for everything, but a 1911 you could do USPSA single stack, IDPA CDP, and it will work for 3gun.

well thats one vote for each but I think I have decided on the 1911 due to the fact that I can get a .22 conversion kit in the future along with many other upgrades and additions that are available for it. Then I can compete in limited 10 and single stack.

thanks for your advice and it seems that I've been hearing people say that everyone needs a 1911, that and I was never a fan of a gun mostly made of plastic

• 1 year later...

well, I orderd a 1911 loaded black target stainless from Springfield directly over a year ago. They then told me that this year they discontinued that model, and after much beating around the bush I had them switch out that order for an order I had placed for an XDM9 5.25 seeings that if a mag ban goes through I'll have the mags already. I can always get a 1911 later. With the difference in price I'm going to use the leftover money to get a Powder River Precision trigger job done.

Shot maybe 200-300 rounds through it this weekend. Shot Great! First mag I put through it was on a steel torso plate at 100 yards, prowd to say that even with me being 110% noob, I landed 10 out of 19. :)

I did have one malfunction, empty case standing straight up in the ejection port as it tried to load another round. I contribute it to a crappy grip on a hasty draw. Also, on every mag I had a failure to lock back... Looking at my grip, I am riding the slid release like a nice comfy gas peddle, so first, I'm going to load up all 7 of my mags with 1 round, shoot with thumb well away from release, and shoot 1 haned to see if that fixes the problem.

If that does fix it, I'm going to look for either a flat sided slide release lever, or just cut the tab off.

If it's not me riding the release lever then I'm going to try different ammo.

Sorry for the long post,

Thanks for any advice

well, I orderd a 1911 loaded black target stainless from Springfield directly over a year ago. They then told me that this year they discontinued that model, and after much beating around the bush I had them switch out that order for an order I had placed for an XDM9 5.25 seeings that if a mag ban goes through I'll have the mags already. I can always get a 1911 later. With the difference in price I'm going to use the leftover money to get a Powder River Precision trigger job done.

Shot maybe 200-300 rounds through it this weekend. Shot Great! First mag I put through it was on a steel torso plate at 100 yards, prowd to say that even with me being 110% noob, I landed 10 out of 19. :)

I did have one malfunction, empty case standing straight up in the ejection port as it tried to load another round. I contribute it to a crappy grip on a hasty draw. Also, on every mag I had a failure to lock back... Looking at my grip, I am riding the slid release like a nice comfy gas peddle, so first, I'm going to load up all 7 of my mags with 1 round, shoot with thumb well away from release, and shoot 1 haned to see if that fixes the problem.

If that does fix it, I'm going to look for either a flat sided slide release lever, or just cut the tab off.

If it's not me riding the release lever then I'm going to try different ammo.

Sorry for the long post,

Thanks for any advice

I use a XDM 9 5.25 and have the same slide lock issue if I don't pay attention to my grip and ride the release other than that I have never had a malfunction or any problems.

possibly found a solution to the problem. Springer Precision sells a slide release that is real thin at the back, and then extends further forward. That may be my only option for a fully fuctional solution without sacrificing a solid shooting grip, but they want $55 for it which I think is a bit steep but they do have the market cornered being the only ones to make a release like that.

• 4 weeks later...