Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

300WM Reloads hard to extract

bchibb

I'm reloading once fired brass and after firing they are hard to extract. I'm full length resizing with a Forster die. They chamber just fine. I measured the case just above the belt after firing and they are growing in diameter from .505/.510 to .514. I have measured them after resizing at .510 and they chamber OK again. I'm wondering if I am bumping the shoulder too much and causing them to headspace on the belt instead of the shoulder? Should I back the sizing die out some and see if the problem goes away?

Not enough info to diagnose, but the prime suspect will be a high pressure loading, with a contributing factor being the sizing.

It has been said here before by other members, "Get thee to a chrono"

Good luck, post more details about the load

I will echo whistlerpig: get thee a chrono.

Second: get thee a case gage.

Folks on forums like to offer the "if it chambers its fine mantra", but I've done the research and a solid chamber gage is absolutely as invaluable as a set of check weights for the powder scale.

My guess is, though I've not loaded for this caliber, that it's related to the shoulder being pushed to far back.

I offer this as only opinion and your mileage my vary.

I am concerned at the amount of case expension you are getting. The load at this distance is somewhat over max.

What is the exact amount of powder? and are you within spec of the data from the manufacturer? Are you loading shorter than the book reccommends for that projectile? ARe you engaging the rifling wit the projectile>? Have you measured how far off the rifling you actually are, not just load to fit the length of the magazine box.

Be aware that just because the book says X is maximum, and you use X it does not mean it is safe. You may have smaller internal capacity brass that makes X more like X plus 2grains.

Again chrono data is paramount.

What do the primers look like, a poor indicator for some but they need to be looked at.

Check expansion of your cases and loads against factory ammo using the same brand of brass. If you have more than 0.002" more than factory with any WSM you are on shaky ground. Once sized any case will go back in. Your dies may be under size and they could size anything back to well under your chamber.

Your chamber could be out of spec.

If the cases are sticky coming out of the sizer I would look at what lube and how much of it your are using. I have found best results with Dillon or Hornady One shot, but not the water based crap. Over expanded cases will sometimes drag a lot.

What brand of dies and are they clean. Make sur ethe shellholder matches the dies and there is no damage to the rim / extractor groove.

After reducing powder charge the pressure signs have diminished. I am now at the min. charge per the sierra manual. Will chrono the rounds to see what vel I am getting.

Thanks for all of the replies.