Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazine tubes in tumbler

DRamsey

As an experiment I've put three magazine tubes in my Dillon case cleaner. I've got corn cob media and a "blue goo" in the tumbler. They've been in there about 5 hours and look a little more polished, but how long until they are mirror shiny?

Have you ever done this?

You could leave them in there overnight and you still wont be able to see your face in them. To make them really shine, get a bench grinder or high speed drill, with a buffing wheel. Hit the tube with some polishing compund and then work up to a rouge. I pesonally don't like them highly polished. The one mag I was experimenting with was way too slick that I couldent consistantly pull it from my belt.

Guest Larry Cazes

Depends on the tubes and if they're plated or not.

My SV tubes weren't affected at all by 6 hours with corn media but my Para tubes which are nickel plated benefitted greatly after 4.

I saw a website once on home anodizing and there was a link either to the same website or another about metal polishing. They used vibratory cleaners exactly like the ones we use to clean brass but used a variety of rouges and polishing compounds - and left the stuff in the tumbler for something like a week at a time.

If you google search for home anodizing or something like that, you may find it.