Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady Bullet Feeder on a Dillon 1050

Has anyone mounted a Hornady Bullet feeder on a Dillon 1050?

The directions only show mounting for a Dillon 650.

It seems the Dillon case feeder will get in the way of mounting the bullet feeder.

If anyone has a template or pictures to share, it would be greatly appreciated. :cheers:

I figured I would ask you guys, before I start drilling numerous holes in my bench!

Thanks in advance,

Dean

On the 1050, the Dillon powder measure can get in the way. Sometimes I just want to put the powder measure in station 6 so everything clears the primer tube. Oh, to have one additional station after the powder die!!!

I don't exactly remember now, so I am probably wrong, but I think I mounted the Hornady backwards so the linkage was on the left side making room from the Primer tube.

If you get the plastic tube from linen and things it is flexible enough to bend past the case feeder without problems. I also added a section of 1/2 inch PET tubing (like the kind used for water lines in new home construction) to make the whole setup hold 119 bullets. Two eye bolts keep the whole contraption steady, one on the casefeeder rim and the other on a bracket off the wall. Works great and every time I refill the primer tube I do the bullet feeder. I heated the PET tube by the wood stove to get it soft enough to accept the clear tube from linens n things.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry. I was responding to the use of the Hornady Powder Measure and not the Bullet Feed.

The bullet feed has a spring for a tube so you can site the collator where it will fit.

I believe there are some YouTube vids showing it being used.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been looking at the same thing. I'm going to extend the vertical part of the bullet feeder bracket using 1" ID square tubing. Drill some holes to be able to change the height, cut the bracket and have the ability to raise/lower it. Doesn't look too hard, just need about 10" of square tubing and should be done. Hoping to have it finished on the weekend if I can find the tubing here at work.

Heres what I did on the weekend:

Got some scrap 1" square tubing from work. Made a 30 degree bend in it near the top using a 1" EMT bender. It was not pretty, but it was functional. I did it with scrap just to see if it was going to work.

I cut the bracket about 3" longer on the vertical than what the original LNL bracket is so it sits higher. I set it back from the machine far enough so the spring tube doesn't interfere with the handle operation. Mounted the square tubing with angle brackets to the bench. Worked well, but ... It wasn't high enough to work 100% of the time. Sometimes the bullets wouldn't drop down the tube because there was too much slack in it. Raised it up to 6" higher and it works great now. No issues and 200 rounds loaded so far.

• 2 months later...

Finally got mine up and running a few weeks ago.

I ended up bolting it on top of a block of 2x4, to the back/left of the press.

I had to trim the bullet tube down a bit. Hornady was nice enough to send me a new one, at no charge, when I trimmed the first one too short. :cheers: I had a brain fart and trimmed it with the toolhead in the up position. Runs 99%, but is pretty loud. My buddy has a Mr Bullet Feeder, and it is MUCH quieter.