Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.223 Full Length Die for Dillon 650?

Religious Shooter

I currently have a Lee FL sizing die for .223. I switched over to the locking toolhead from Uniquetek. The dimensions of this toolhead does not allow me to use a bottom mounted lock nut --- there is a big step/level difference from the toolhead to the underside of the press.

I can't put the lock nut on top because the Lee die is too short and there are not enough threads on top. The Lee needs just about another 1/4" of threading to work.

Which .223 FL dies out there (other than Dillon) are long enough to use a top mounted lock nut on a 650?

Great question. i have the same problem on a 1050 only using 308. Do you know if the Lee is a small base die?

As far as 223 reg Dillon has been great. I wished i had bought the Dillon 308. I also like Dillon because the decapping pins are cheap compared to other brands. i tend to break a few when just resizing on the progressive due to working at a faster pace.

Edited by dstroyed

On Lee dies, either use one of the jam nuts that came with the Dillon loader, or turn the Lee lock nut upside down. Older lee dies are shorter than most, and their jam nut incorporates an O-ring. If you turn it over, you should have enough exposed thread on the top of the die to secure it in place. 3/4 of a thread is sufficient to secure the die in place.

I have the Uniquetek kit, and use Redding dies with the locknut on the bottom.

I use the brass-colored 1" Dillon nuts, which are smaller across the flats and have a "bevel" at the points. Between those two features, I haven't yet had an issue from the nut interfering with the press on the bottom.