Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sighting In

newgirl

What are people's thoughts on sighting a gun in for someone. When a gun is "sighted in", is the gun sighted in for all?

I am a new shooter (not brand new, new as in 1 year), my partner is a very experienced shooter, so he sighted in my new revolver for me. He adjusted the sights and shot bullseyes every time. Gun sighted in?

I shot it at a NRA Action match the next day and could not hit a target to save myself....well I did get SOME shots on...... but BAD result! (OK it was still a day on the range shooting. Yes, I still had fun, whilst wanting to cry at the same time).

After the match. We put up a clean target and I went for a group - gun way out! Group was really low and way to the right. After some big adjustments, I was hitting bullseyes and shot some nice groups at both 10, 15 and 20yards. Phew, confidence slightly restored. Of course this is much easier when shooting in your own time.

My question is, taking so many variants into consideration. Is it best when sighting it in, to sight it in for YOU? Do you think physical height (he is 6'2" vs my 5'3"), reach and eyesight (I wear prescription contacts and my script is valid) differences affect this?

As an aside, I now know how to adjust the sights myself, but I am keen to hear thoughts on whether someone can also do it for you? Ie .... if you are gun sharing, would this make a difference? What also, if one is right eye dominant and the other left eye dominant?

Welcome to the forum!

I do suggest you stick with the sight pictures below though and sight in the pistol yourself. :cheers:

No, iron sights are not sighted in for everyone. (But they can be damn close depending on the different users hold)

As long as you have a consistent cheek weld and sight alignment, the actual position of both sights can have nothing to do with bullets on paper.

For example, here's a picture - all could be from the same shooter and produce desirable results:

sightpicture2.jpg

I doubt anyone will argue that you should not zero the sights while they're aligned but as long as you see what you need to - you can make the shot.

Edited by DyNo!

Guns should be sighted in by/for the individual shooter. Your grip will also play a part in the Point of Aim vs Point of Impact. Grip affects what the barrel does during dwell time, or how much the muzzle moves after the shot is fired but before the bullet exits the barrel. I can shoot my pistol freestyle or strong hand and get good hits with a normal sight picture. If I shoot weak hand, I have to have a different sight picture to get hits (I rarely shoot weakhand, so I suck at it). It is best to sight the gun in yourself to your particular load. Dryfire practice will help you maintain a constant grip which should help your group consistancy.

Hurley

Group was really low and way to the right. After some big adjustments, I was hitting bullseyes and shot some nice groups at both 10, 15 and 20yards.

Newgirl, are you left handed? Were you shooting one hand or two?

From a rest or standing up? Slowly or quickly?

Yes, you should sight it in yourself. But all of the above

can affect where the bullets are going.

Good luck - glad you have the gun sighted in for you.

BTW, when you shoot a match, you still should be shooting

"on your own time" = don't shoot faster than you see the

sights on the target.

Jack

• 2 weeks later...

+1 with high power jack. if the impact was that far off my first guess is you guys are opposite handed. i'm left handed but shoot right handed. if i switch back to my left hand being my strong hand and use my left eye (recessive), then my hits are off. sight it in for yourself on a relaxed shooting day.

You should try to figure out what you're doing different. People see sights differently but it shouldn't be miss the target differently. Generally when someone reports that their gun shoots low and left they are jerking the trigger. If you gave the same gun that was shooting low and left to 10 Master class shooters it would shoot pretty close to dead on for most of them. Obviously, there will be slight differences due to hold and the way they see sights but it should be close. If your friend is really a good shooter you should try to figure out whats happening that's different. Maybe he jerks the trigger and compensates with the way he sights the gun in. When you shoot the gun and pull the trigger the right way the gun shoots to the right due to how he's sighted it in. On the other hand maybe you're doing something wrong. Just wild ideas.