Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is 3.5" chamber size bad for 3gun?

sdm74

if it means you won't shoot 3 gun, till you get another gun then no its not a bad thing.

Its just that 3" is more common, when loading,... the great big opening on a 3.5" is a definite advantage, is it worth getting over the normal 3",...NO.

Shoot what you have, and then decide what you need after you've had a few matches under your belt.

Trapr

My SBE takes more oomph to run, but that means I very, very rarely have problems with steel. :) 3 1/4 dram 1 1/8 oz is all I run. It's picky about what slugs it likes also.

But the Browning is a gas gun I assume, so it would probably work with a bit more of a range of ammo. Make sure you can get a mag tube extension for that shotgun.

I use a Beretta Xtrema2 for 3gun and it has a 3.5” chamber. It was my duck gun that I decided to try 3gun with. It’s a lot easier to load shells in than my Benelli, especially if you have big fingers like me.

It had trouble cycling walmart promo loads early on but after a season of heavy 3” and 3.5” waterfowl loads the gun is well broken in and I have no problem now with even lighter loads like 2.75dram or light slugs. A lot of folks don’t break the gun in properly and have trouble with lighter loads.

I shoot a 26" sx3 3.5". I put one box of 3.5" shells through it then about 1500 federal bulk pack from Walmart. Only problems were when I tried hip shooting it, and when I used the Winchester bulk pack.

I got the 3.5" cause sometimes I go goose hunting with my brother and he uses the big shells and it is nice to be able to put anything in it. It would be nice if the barrel was shorter but so far it has worked for me.