Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stipple or Silicone Carbide

ksmirk

Ok fella's first off thanks for your time reading this and your thoughts and opinions are very welcomed!

I've got a new G24 headed my way and well I'm going to try my best to make this an awesome pistol that fits me, it's the Gen 3 so I've got some grip work that will need to be done and I'm a little torn on if I want to stiple or do the epoxy silicone carbide grit. I know you can get crazy with the grit size but my goal is something that I'm not going to drop when it heats up this summer and the sweating starts.

I'll probably have many more questions about other things I'm on the fence about but if you could offer a little direction on what direction you would go and why on the grip that would be just awesome! in advance thanks a mess and have a good one. Later,

Kirk

I bought my glock 35 with some type of grit epoxied on it. It looks very much like the crushed nuts on a little ice cream treat called a "nutty buddy". This stuff has been on my gun for the 5 years I've had the gun & it was used when I bought it. As far as I can tell, it is just as grippy as it was when brand new. I haven't lost any of the grit & the edges are still as rough as ever. It holds wet or dry, hot or cold. One thing, though, if you don't work with your hands but instead you maybe work in an office or something, I suggest you do something different. This stuff will hold your skin. Most girls that try the gun don't shoot many rounds through it. Soft hands, no grit!

My backup gun has "A Grip" installed on it. It is a GREAT product! It holds, for me, as well as the grit & is much better for folks with less callouses than I have. It can also be peeled back & repositioned or whatever if you ever want to change it. The adhesive is incredible. You can trim it for your controls or just cover them. I covered mine & then punched out pin holes for the pins in the gun. First time I cleaned it after installing the A Grip I peeled it back & it went right back on just like new. After that, I just poked the holes & left it undisturbed. It is some GOOD stuff!

Anyway, if you stiple, you will have what you have, there will be no changing it, ever. Even the grit could be ground off but not the stipling.

Just my opinion.

MLM

Until you have some time behind the gun the most I would recommend is some skate board tape on the side of the grip. I am not talking about the tread tape sold at ACE/ACO and other places, I am talking about the stuff from a true skate board shop. If there is non locally, then there are lots of places found with a Google/Yahoo/Bing search.

Neither. I've been working on my grip lately, and I used to have (real) skateboard tape on my front strap and stippling right beneath the slide release. I find the more grip pressure I apply the less I need the added grit and the more it irritates my hands. With a softer grip - what I think most people use with gritty stuff - it never bothered my hands. But once I started torquing the living crap out of my gun and trying to break the grip panels, the grit really dug in.

I even have regularly sweaty palms, and there's no problem if I have my grip set up on the gun right. Maybe a little dirt or grip cream, but that's it for me from here on out. Now I only have grip tape on the bottom of my magazines to make them easier to find (it's orange).

I think this is the reason you don't see a whole ton of grit/grip tape etc. on a lot of pro's guns.

Edited by DonovanM

Until you have some time behind the gun the most I would recommend is some skate board tape on the side of the grip. I am not talking about the tread tape sold at ACE/ACO and other places, I am talking about the stuff from a true skate board shop. If there is non locally, then there are lots of places found with a Google/Yahoo/Bing search.

+1

Grip tape is great and non-permanent. The skate shop products are more bendable than the industrial stuff used as tread tape. Skate shop grip tape fits the contours better.

If you stipple or epoxy on some grit, you better be very sure where you want the texture. For instance, a lot of people don't like grit around the mag release and some do. Tape will let you experiment. You may have a lot more trouble finding a buyer later with permanent mods should the pistol not work out for you.

Stippling. Without a doubt.

I played around with silicon carbide grit on the magloader, wasn't ever really happy with it, too uneven in profile, it was a pain to get the balance right between not enough grit and lumps of it. YMMV

Never was happy with skate tape, it always seemed to move on me, even after squeezing the everloving crap out of it w/ electrical tape in an effort to get it to stick. Superglue made it stick, but it filled up w/ dead skin and dirt and lost it's grip.

Finally got fed up and stippled it. It's grippy, yet not abrasive. When it gets dirty, I get a brush, some soap and scrub it out. Best hour or two I ever spent.

I've run grip tape and tore up a mess of shirts, good to get an idea of what you want but it never stayed in place and that peeling and dealing with the sticky I didn't care for much. I'm running a loaner G24 that has the grip reduction done and while I'll probably remove the finger grooves and cut the trigger guard relief and add a beavertail that's going to be about it so not too crazy. Looks like the more I check into this I need to figure out how to stipple or get with Cyrus and see if I can sweet talk him into one of his awesome stippling jobs for me.

Thanks guys I appreciate the advice. Later,

Kirk

Stippling. Without a doubt.

I played around with silicon carbide grit on the magloader, wasn't ever really happy with it, too uneven in profile, it was a pain to get the balance right between not enough grit and lumps of it. YMMV

Never was happy with skate tape, it always seemed to move on me, even after squeezing the everloving crap out of it w/ electrical tape in an effort to get it to stick. Superglue made it stick, but it filled up w/ dead skin and dirt and lost it's grip.

Finally got fed up and stippled it. It's grippy, yet not abrasive. When it gets dirty, I get a brush, some soap and scrub it out. Best hour or two I ever spent.

+1 for sure.

^Andrew has stippled my G35 and my XDM and I couldnt be happier with either. I ran skate tape for 2 years before having them stippled. It was better than nothing, but nowhere close to being as good as a stipple job.

Ok fella's first off thanks for your time reading this and your thoughts and opinions are very welcomed!

I've got a new G24 headed my way and well I'm going to try my best to make this an awesome pistol that fits me, it's the Gen 3 so I've got some grip work that will need to be done and I'm a little torn on if I want to stiple or do the epoxy silicone carbide grit. I know you can get crazy with the grit size but my goal is something that I'm not going to drop when it heats up this summer and the sweating starts.

I'll probably have many more questions about other things I'm on the fence about but if you could offer a little direction on what direction you would go and why on the grip that would be just awesome! in advance thanks a mess and have a good one. Later,

Kirk

Kirk,

I think you will find a variety of opinions on this subject, I know I did when I started to ask around. If you plan to keep the gun "forever" I would recommend a stiple job. For me, I find it important to try one out before putting the $ into the modification.. Since I have not seen too many people effectively add plastic back on :). I have not been brave enough to try it out. What I have done on my latest 34 is take a RTF2 frame and put the 34 upper on it and I absolutely love it. For me, I have smaller hands and the rtf2 texture lets me hold onto the gun more. I have tried the gen4 with the smaller grip and it is nice, but I still prefer the rtf2. This may be another option, but it may cost you a bit more, but I knew what I liked and I am glad I swapped frames. Good luck!

Steve

I used grip tape for a while, but then one of my friends got pretty good at stippling polymer pistol frames. I had him stipple teh Glock 35 first, and like it so much I had him do the Glock 24. He undercut the triggerguard on the 24 a little more, and reduce the frontstrap finger grips slightly more on the 24. I plan on getting him to stipple my work 32C with a smaller tip so it will have smaller "stipples" (is that a word?)and snag less on clothing.

post-25397-0-03679100-1321646044_thumb.j

post-25397-0-40107600-1321646063_thumb.j

post-25397-0-07110600-1321646108_thumb.j

Biloxi23, that is the pattern I think I am going to go with but a touch larger dia. tip, I hope to get the finger grooves gone as I really can't stand them AT ALL!

Did you epoxy the butt plug for the magwell? curious as I didn't see a screw head on your grip frame and if you don't mind ask your buddy what dia, tip he used for your stipple I'd really appreciate it as I'm looking for some plastic to practice on before I take the heat to the pistol. Sorry for all the questions I just really like the job he did. Later,

Kirk

No epoxy. That's a JP Enterprises mag well and the screw is on the bottom.

I'll ask him, but In know that he used different tips on a 25 watt soldering iron. He has even experimented with altering the shape of tips, and other mods to the tips.m m He's done the tree bark patterns, round, polygons and both vertical and horizontal lines. He sacrificed some old P Mags to practice on and told me they gave he a good sense of how to to the pistol frames.

Edited by Biloxi23