Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Warren Tactical rear sights

Xander

Yes, they're kind of a lot different... The Sevigny Comp sights have a "bolder" rear sight that presents more of a traditional-ish "block" to the shooter, which to my eyes, makes the notch seem deeper and more crisp as compared to the Warren version's "wave" profile. I believe the concept of the "wave" is that it's supposed to obscure less of the target which some shooters/eyes may like better... again, to my eyes, crisper = better, so I much prefer the Sevigny rear's bold, uncomplicated "block" profile, YMMV. The other difference is the Sevigny rears have a squared-off notch instead of the "U-notch" the Warren sets have.

Also, the Sevigny Comp front blade is thinner, .115" compared to a .125" with the Warren sets, this makes for larger "light bars" and more daylight around the front blade, again, my eyes find the skinnier front more crisp, YMMV.

There are plenty of guys who dig the Warren sets, they're better than most out there for sure, having tried both I solidly prefer the Sevigny sets, everybody's eyes are different so it's subjective... One thing I'd point out though is the "U-notchs" seem to work best and be designed more for guys who like a dot or FO in their front blade, think the idea is for one's eyes to be able to match up the round dot/FO in the round hole, since I prefer a plain serrated black blade I'd guess my eyes do better matching up the right-angles of a squared-off notch and blade, once again YMMV.

Edited by ck1

Sevigny Competition

Specifications:

Front Sight: .115” wide x .215” tall, 70 LPI serrations, black oxide finish, 3/16” hex screw retention

Rear Sight: .150” wide x .120” rear notch, flat back drafted surface (no distracting points, edges or serrations) with nominal 1/8” radii corners, hardened steel, black oxide finish, dovetail press fit and stainless set screw for back-up retention

Made in the USA, PATENTED design

Drift adjustable rear only

Installation recommended by a qualified gunsmith only.

Sevigny Competition w/fiber optic front sight

Same as the “Competition”, with a fiber optic front sight. When heated, the 1mm fiber optic rod melts to a 1/16 th of an inch diameter. The top of the rod diameter and top of the front sight appear flush when aiming.

Specifications:

Front Sight: .115” wide x .215” tall, 70 LPI serrations, 1mm fiber optic through diameter with a .060” front counterbore, black oxide finish, 3/16” hex screw retention. Green and Red, 1mm (.040”) fiber optic rod included, approx. 2 ½” long

Rear Sight: .150” wide x .120” rear notch, .250” tall, flat back drafted surface (no distracting points, edges or serrations) with nominal 1/8” radii corners, hardened steel, black oxide finish, dovetail press fit and stainless set screw for back-up retention

Sevigny Carry

Same as the “Competition”, with a wider front sight and rounded outer corners on the rear sight.

Specifications:

Front Sight: .125” wide x .215” tall, no serrations, black oxide finish, 3/16” hex screw retention

Rear Sight: .150” wide x .120” rear notch, .250” tall, flat back drafted surface (no distracting points, edges or serrations) with nominal 1/8” radii top corners, designed to be more “Carry Friendly” with rounded outer corners, hardened steel, black oxide finish, dovetail press fit and stainless set screw for back-up retention

Sevigny Carry w/Tritium

Same as the “Carry”, with Tritium inserts for low light use.

Specifications:

Front Sight: .125” wide x .215” tall, no serrations, black oxide finish, 3/16” hex screw retention

Rear Sight: .150” wide x .120” rear notch, .250” tall, flat back drafted surface (no distracting points, edges or serrations) with nominal 1/8” radii top corners, designed to be more “Carry Friendly” with rounded outer corners, hardened steel, black oxide finish, dovetail press fit and stainless set screw for back-up retention

Tritium installed by Trijicon. Large green tritium front with white outline. Small yellow tritium rear .Vertical two dot configuration.

It's worth noting that, assuming you're ordering direct from Scott Warren, you can mix and match a bit - at least in my experience, and it's my impression this is not only something he would do for a gunwriter - and ask for the thin front blade with a Sevigny rear. That's how I've gone on my WTS-Sevigny sight combos.

Yes, they're kind of a lot different... The Sevigny Comp sights have a "bolder" rear sight that presents more of a traditional-ish "block" to the shooter, which to my eyes, makes the notch seem deeper and more crisp as compared to the Warren version's "wave" profile. I believe the concept of the "wave" is that it's supposed to obscure less of the target which some shooters/eyes may like better... again, to my eyes, crisper = better, so I much prefer the Sevigny rear's bold, uncomplicated "block" profile, YMMV. The other difference is the Sevigny rears have a squared-off notch instead of the "U-notch" the Warren sets have.

Also, the Sevigny Comp front blade is thinner, .115" compared to a .125" with the Warren sets, this makes for larger "light bars" and more daylight around the front blade, again, my eyes find the skinnier front more crisp, YMMV.

There are plenty of guys who dig the Warren sets, they're better than most out there for sure, having tried both I solidly prefer the Sevigny sets, everybody's eyes are different so it's subjective... One thing I'd point out though is the "U-notchs" seem to work best and be designed more for guys who like a dot or FO in their front blade, think the idea is for one's eyes to be able to match up the round dot/FO in the round hole, since I prefer a plain serrated black blade I'd guess my eyes do better matching up the right-angles of a squared-off notch and blade, once again YMMV.

Nice inputs, well mine has the fiber optic front, and seeems good for my eyes :)

The only difference between the Sevigny Carry and Comp is the rounded corners at the left and right edge of the rear sight. If you don't know to look for it you will never know it is there. Had both untill sat evening. My carry set with trit now belong to a fellow shooter and I am shopping for a new gun. My other cannons carry the comp rears.

Both of my Production guns wear Sevigny rears and the narrow FO fronts. Like ck1, the "block" is much better for my eyes and allows me to pick out that front sight much easier.

I will say this, though. Calling shots with so much daylight on either side of the front post is, for me, more difficult than if the rear sights will occlude the front on any given jerk/push. The flip side is that you have a lot more room for "allowable" sight pictures on closer, speedier targets. It takes some time to get used to-- I made up plenty of A's with A's because I saw the sight shift, but didn't realize that it wasn't enough to throw a shot. Now that I'm comfortable with it, however, I think the advantages vastly outweigh the drawbacks. And I've never struggled with tight, long or precision shots either. It may take an extra couple thousandths to line them up-- I've never timed it myself. But as few and far between as those shots are in USPSA, it definitely is not a concern in my mind.