Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hammer Follow

dskinsler83

I was just surfing the net and found a post by a gunsmith that checks hammer follow in this way. Put a rubber band round the GS, lock the slide back and hold pistol with your fore finger and thumb on the lower grip screws muzzle pointed up. With you other hand as lightly as possible release slide stop, do this a few times and if it doesn't follow then you are good to go. Supposedly it will not follow no matter how loose you grip the gun, if you have a full mag or whatever. I just did this test on my guns and they all passed, and they all have 2 lb. triggers. This is just a test so if you hammer follows you still have to find out why. Another interesting thing he mentioned was to have 2/3 of your pull weight in the first stage of your trigger. I am of the 1/3 of pull weight on the first stage, so I might try this. He said this would make your trigger feel better no matter what the pull weight. Just something else to try.

From the far side of the river----(aka, a cross dresser????)

Having same problems--(in Wild Bunch --a new side of Cowboy action)==and having some follow thru issues.

ON THE CLOCK--we must draw and cycle the gun as the chamber must be empty, but with mag loaded, --but only 5 rounds so not full mag spring tension--- (then shoot to slide lock)

-duh--it would be a real challenge to hold the trigger back while racking the slide--(ok,different when clearing off the clock)

then we must shoot to slide lock, reload and then drop the slide, again on a 5 round mag). So while there is no situation when a slide is dropped on an empty chamber --except when clearing the gun--WB folks are regularly dropping the slide on a short, fresh mag from slide lock. (all virginia count--spo no make ups!)

I can track that there should USUALLY have no follow thru when a cartridge is in the mag--but what can be done to tighten things up? Does a heavier hammer spring help or ---- I have found that only an adjustment of the sear spring helps --and that results in a heavier TP than I like??? (since my single actions and rifle have 2 lb triggers I am somewhat spoiled---)

BB

You may have to replace the hammer and sear if the hammer drops while chambering a round. It's true that it is more likely to happen if you have the sear spring adjusted for a light trigger pull, but, it still shouldn't if the hammer/sear engagement is proper.

If you hold the trigger back and drop the slide during ulasc it is a match DQ. Trigger in finger guard. Your hammer should never fall unless you are pulling the trigger. If it falls for any other reason you have a problem. Hammer bounce was only mentioned because it can be a cause. Dropping the slide on an empty chamber was only mentioned as a way to test. You may need ignition parts to correct problem. Trigger job should be done by someone with experience.

Thanks all. I have studied Wiegand's article in Brownells --have swapped sears but not hammer-have checked with blue the engagement of the sear/ hammer which looks ok--- I need to go to 4.5 lb + with sear/disco spring adjustment (have tried various springs as well)to not have periodic follow through. Also I have swapped hammer springs down to 15lb with negligible difference.

Guess that the next step is stoning the sear & trigger &/or replacing the hammer as well as the sear.

I don't need -or want bullseye superlight- but looking for a reliable 3 to 3.5lb, which is probably as low as one should go for action competition.

BB