Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

fmj Not allowed, what do I do?

shootingchef

I bought 2k rounds of Atlanta Arms 55 gr FMJ ammo. I want to zero the rifle to that ammo. Around these parts, Dallas, the only range where you can shoot does not allow FMJ. The Question is, is there a 55 gr round that is not a FMJ that is similar to the AA&A 55 gr FMJ? Example the Remington ultra max 55 gr. soft point.

I bought 2k rounds of Atlanta Arms 55 gr FMJ ammo. I want to zero the rifle to that ammo. Around these parts, Dallas, the only range where you can shoot does not allow FMJ. The Question is, is there a 55 gr round that is not a FMJ that is similar to the AA&A 55 gr FMJ? Example the Remington ultra max 55 gr. soft point.

Shooting a soft point bullet of the same weight will get you in the ball park but you really need to zero with the ammo your shooting. How far away is a range that would let you shoot what you want. Its worth the drive.

Pat

I used to buy Ultramx 55 grain softpoints, They were only slightly more than FMJ's and made things easier at home by not having to keep different ammo supplies on hand. They were cheap enough for blasting but the softpoints had the terminal ballistics I wanted.

In all of the ranges I have been to in D/FW it is not FMJ that is the issue. Their only restriction is rifle ammo that has a "steel penetrator."

They normally test that by running a magnet across it. If it sticks to the magnet, you can not shoot it.

What range are you talking about because this issue with steel penetrators is the case at DFW gun range, Quail creek, Elm fork, Collin county, Elk Castle, Alpine, Winchester, and all of the other various ranges I can think of around here. I would say to be sure, call them and ask what kind of ammo is not allowed and specifically FMJ or FMJ with a steel penetrator.

It's a little bit of a haul for you, but Tac Pro Shooting Center in Mingus has no ammo limitations other than NO TRACER. You can shoot to your heart's content on the 100/200 yard range. You can shoot at 300, 400, and 500 yards on the 1000 KD range only if you are a member.

http://www.tacproshootingcenter.com/