Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3-Gun Match, Augusta, GA 11/26/11

Rather than our normal handgun-only USPSA match in November we will be having a 3-Gun match at Pinetucky the Saturday after Thanksgiving, November 26th. Shooters should plan to arrive between 8:00 and 8:30, sign-up will be at 8:30, a safety briefing and COF review at 8:45, and shooting should start at 9:00. It is our plan to be done between 12:00 and 1:00.

While we do not yet have exact round counts, plan on bringing the following:

At least 75 rounds of bird shot, 7.5 or smaller

At least 150 rounds of rifle ammo (no steel or steel core ammo as we will be shooting some steel at 100 yards)

At least 150 rounds of pistol ammo

We will have one LONG COF on the rifle range, a short course also on the rifle range, and 2 medium courses on the pistol range. All courses of fire will have a 180 second time limit. Unless otherwise specified, all brown full-size USPSA targets will be engaged with handgun only, all white ¼ size USPSA targets will be engaged with rifle only, and all orange 4” square steel targets will be engaged with shotgun only.

There will only be 2 divisions: Tactical Optics and Tactical Irons. Unmagnified optics (dot-type) can run in the Tactical Irons division. There are no magazine capacity restrictions

Scoring will be done using IMGA rules. Basically, that means 1 A/B hit or 2 anywhere on the target. Shotgun steel must fall and rifle hits on the 100 yard swingers will be called by one of the ROs.

Because all of the stages are going to be rather involved, we will need everyone’s help resetting the stages. There will be no collecting of brass until after the match is over and all of the props are put away.

While we will not dictate shooting positions, it may be to your advantage to shoot from a prone or kneeling position at times. Dress accordingly.

For anyone that wants to come shoot this but does not have the necessary equipment, several of us will have equipment that we will share. Please email me, mnyland@themxtrack.com, or Dewey Hutson, dewey1_1@msn.com, to make arrangements.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very cool, look forward to seeing all of you. I'll even bring coffee and doughnuts.

Well, I'll bring coffee and doughnuts for myself. You didn't expect me to share, didja?!?

Charles...how far of a ride is that for ya?

We start at 9 and finish by 1. Most of then hit a local joint for lunch and bragging about how well we would have shot that stage if....

I've usually moved up a class or two by the time I leave Carolina Ale House. :)

Edited by High Lord Gomer

Update…

Rifle: We are going to have 47 ¼ sized USPSA targets for rifle (plus the 3 8" plates at 100 yards). If you only shoot one shot on each paper rifle target (and get an A-zone hit), you theoretically could shoot all of the rifle with 50 rounds. Realistically, most people will shoot two at each rifle target and use 100 rounds minimum for rifle. I would still suggest planning on 120 or 140 rounds for rifle.

Shotgun: We will have 47 four inch square steel targets. If you don't miss, you could shoot the match with just two boxes of birdshot. I would still suggest bring at least 3.

Pistol: Still working on the pistol portions of the stages but bring at least 150 rounds.

We are planning to have many/more than a few people who do not already have rifles and shotguns suitable for this kind of match. We will have several for people to use, you just need to supply the ammo. For 12 gauge birdshot, get 7 ½ lead shot with a velocity listed at 1200 fps or better (my 1100 doesn't like to run with anything less). I have had good results with both Wincheter AA and Remington. For 20 gauge birdshot, pretty much any 7 ½ lead shot will work fine in Tommy's 1187 but I still like to get the higher velocity stuff.

For rifle, get brass cased .223 or 5.56 with no steel in the bullets. Robbie from Wheaton Arms (http://www.wheatonarms.com/) has been kind enough to offer to bring Lake City ammo at $7/box of 20 (which is a great price). Robbie will also be outfitting a couple of the shared guns with his compensating muzzlebrakes. I have to warn you, after seeing/trying one you *will* want one (which is why I'm buying two).

It would help us plan if anyone that will be borrowing a rifle and/or shotgun can let me (mnyland@TheMXTrack.com) or Dewey (dewey1_1@msn.com) know as soon as possible.

Edited by High Lord Gomer

Thanks to everyone that came out, shot, and helped yesterday. Dewey and I weren’t expecting it but it was really cool to have so many guys come from Savannah, Greenville, and even Ft. Benning.

Special thanks to Adam, Jesus, Tommy, Zollo, and Jack for helping setup on Friday, too. A really big thanks to Paul for not only coming out all day to setup Friday but also for spending all day Saturday ROing…and he didn’t even shoot.

Scores are posted to http://csrapistol.com, specifically: http://csrapistol.com/MultiGun/Pinetucky_3gun_112611.htm

We really appreciate everyone’s patience as we work through some of the lessons that must be learned the hard way. Among other things, I will never layout anything like Stage 4 again.