Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Breaking the 2-second barrier

shred

I was going to put this in the 1-second barrier thread, but I haven't got my (lefty, grip-shifting) reload under 1.00 yet... But.. this afternoon I threw down several sub-2 runs on draw, shoot 1, reload, shoot 1, which is by far my best. I know all y'all are cracking 'em out in 1.5 like clockwork, but bear with me :)

The wierd thing was I started out shooting super slow, smooth draws at 10 yards in the 1.6-1.7 range, then tried some full-speed-- I couldn't get under 1.15 hands at sides or 1.20 surrender after about 10 tries and gave up on that..

So I started in on the reload drill. All of a sudden my hands at sides draws were 1.02, .98. .95 and so on down to about .89. Shortly thereafter my usual 1.30 reload started dropping down until it was in the 1.0x range and I was breaking 2's.

Same for surrender-- what's usually a 1.2-1.3 draw dropped down sub 1 until I broke 2 on that drill too.

So what changed? I did notice I was accepting less on the sight pictures-- which I guess means my hands are fast enough, but I need to work on getting the dot back where it belongs.. There may also be some familiarity with the drill involved.

Anyway, It was a cool experience

Maybe when you were drilling the draw you were too focused on it? When you started the draw-reload drill you couldn't dwell on the draw since you also had to consider the reload? :unsure:

ps. congratulations, this is awesome! :D

Congrats man!

I have the experience that alternating between hands at sides draws and surrender draws will speed up both of them in a short period of time. You probably "learn" different things on both draws and apply that to the other one.

Cool sums it up - especially given the left hander reload.

I'd guess you were more relaxed about the draw since it was not longer the sole focus of your attention?

I think your comment on "accepting less on the sight picture" conceals some great secret. Now, if you could explain it to me in terms that let me tell the difference between taking too long to get the shot off vs missing the target entirely, then I'd be eternally grateful :)

More inspiration to practice ... and new goals to get nowhere near for a while :P

Kevin

Cool sums it up - especially given the left hander reload.

I think your comment on "accepting less on the sight picture" conceals some great secret. Now, if you could explain it to me in terms that let me tell the difference between taking too long to get the shot off vs missing the target entirely, then I'd be eternally grateful  :)

For me "accepting less sight picture" means not consciously driving the dot into the center of the A-zone before firing the shot. I'll see the dot on the target and fire the shot. That won't result in all A's (or even all A's & C's), but I believe it's worth doing sometiimes, especially for practice. It is still vital to call all the shots wherever they went.

In a match environment I'll be looking to drive the dot into the A-zone almost all the time unless the HF is way way high.

Shred,

When you switched your focus to the reload, your subconscious was left in charge of the draw, and he's much faster than you THINK you are.

When we practice a skill with repetition, those "muscle memory" files are stored in the subconscious, which means that you can and should do them without conscious thought.

What's left is your conscious mind, which pictures the desired result and drives the subconscious mind to accomplish it.

This is the reason that the time seems to stop on our best runs. The conscious mind creates a picture of the desired result, and the subconscious mind makes it happen.

It is also why any conscious attempt to control your speed usually ends up in sloppy shooting...the conscious mind can only DO one thing at a time. It can be fast OR accurate, but not both to the extent that the subconscious mind can.

Whether you order it from me or not, every one should read "With Winning in Mind" by Lanny Bassham. Yes, I do sell it and would love to sell you one...but I bought a case of 'em because it explains the mental game in a way that makes perfect sense to me in the context of our sport.

And by the way, your subconscious doesn't have to choose between a Fast "sloppy hit" and a slow "A." If it knows you want an A as fast as possible it will deliver that on demand, consistent with your current level of subconscious skill. If it gets an order for a "fast draw" it will give you that, too, with the disclaimer that you didn't order a good hit, you ordered a fast draw.

Sorry for the slight hijack, and congrats on your breakthrough!

SA

Whether you order it from me or not, every one should read "With Winning in Mind" by Lanny Bassham. Yes, I do sell it and would love to sell you one...but I bought a case of 'em because it explains the mental game in a way that makes perfect sense to me in the context of our sport.

Thanks.. Got the Bassham book last night ($12.95 cover price, $15 shipped from Steve-- no reason not to order from him). I'm not big into goal setting and daily affirmations, (that's just not like me!) but will give it a shot. The rest of the book is definately worthwhile, especially in combination with the Inner Game of Tennis-- I've been doing a lot of "ok subconscious, do your thing while I shut up" lately :)

And by the way, your subconscious doesn't have to choose between a Fast "sloppy hit" and a slow "A." If it knows you want an A as fast as possible it will deliver that on demand, consistent with your current level of subconscious skill. If it gets an order for a "fast draw" it will give you that, too, with the disclaimer that you didn't order a good hit, you ordered a fast draw.

I'm still working on this. At this point for this drill I'm ordering max speed consistent with hitting the target more or less anywhere in the A-C area. Next up is good-points-as-fast-as-possible.

Yeah, that's fast... but when you get that fast you have to invest in those electronic timers. I still use a sundial to time my mag changes.

FWIW: I have a video of Todd Jarrett showing off and I put a digital watch on him. On the plate shoot, he runs about one second flat between hits on target with a reload in between. I think Rob Leatham is about one second as well. That is REALLY smoking it.