Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Easy Chrono Box

JGH

This weekend I went to chrono some rounds for a new load using Montana Gold Bullets. There was no shade on the range and I was worried about incorrect readings, especially with the bright bullets.

I had read were people set one of the white canopies over the chrono with good results. I did not have a canopy and it was a public range. I had a great idea.

I work in a General Contractors office and happened to have a set of plans with me about 32 inches by 42 inches. These were on plain white copy type paper not actual blueprints. I attached one side of the drawing to the bottom of the frame the sky screens sit own and wrapped it over the screens and attached it to the bottom on the other side. I attached it with pasters so it was easily removed. The paper was thin enough to not actually block all the light, about the same as one of those canopies. The paper was about the thickness of standard copier paper. It seems to have worked great and was easy to set up and tear off. :D

I had readings for every shot I fired, after I remembered to push the GO button. :unsure:

What do you think? Any reason this would effect the chrono in a negative way??

You could probably find similar paper at any number of stores and it is very cheap.

Jason

I have done a similar thing with a target. Put it over the Chrono, No-Shoot Side down. I just tape it to the skyscreen rods. It works well, and you always have targets when you go shoot.

Travis

Constant, even lighting is the key for chronos. As long as they get enough light to see the bullet's shadow, they're good.

If you've ever scoped the signal from the sense amplifier, you know they are looking for a pretty tiny bump in the signal, so whatever you can do to help that is great.

Clear blue skies are actually pretty dark in most places and the chrono doesn't like that. Overcast is good, otherwise fake it with some sort of diffuser.