Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Old Spring style powder measure system

I recently traded some brass for a "deluxe quick change assembly". The powder measure came with the old style spring system. 3 questions:

1. Do I need to use the long black rod

2. How do I go about getting more springs

3. Do i just pop off the larger black round pen thing to discard the brass piece (finger is pointed to the brass piece i want to take off)

post-34074-0-92413900-1320547598_thumb.j

1) yes.

2) Dillon actually has a retrofit that will make the old style like the new style. I do not think they sell springs anymore.

3)What are you trying to do ? Make the new one like the old one?

thanks...yes trying to make the new style like the older spring one

Edited by cworks

The one on the right in the photo is NOT on "old" one. Someone has modified Dillons current powder measure linkage...

IF you are trying to retrofit for a truly case activated powder measure, you do NOT need the black rod. The earlier style powder measure return springs are available from Dillon.

IF you simply want springs to help return your powder measure bar, then using the black rod would be a good thing.

Personally, I use Dillon's current version of the powder measure linkage. When PROPERLY adjusted, it works great. AND it was designed to help prevent over charged cases. It's a safety thing.

PM coming.

The one on the right in the photo is NOT on "old" one. Someone has modified Dillons current powder measure linkage...

IF you are trying to retrofit for a truly case activated powder measure, you do NOT need the black rod. The earlier style powder measure return springs are available from Dillon.

IF you simply want springs to help return your powder measure bar, then using the black rod would be a good thing.

Personally, I use Dillon's current version of the powder measure linkage. When PROPERLY adjusted, it works great. AND it was designed to help prevent over charged cases. It's a safety thing.

PM coming.

I didn't really like the "clunking" of the second piece of brass which my finger is pointing at in the picture. I am currently setup for 8.0GR of IMR 7625 in 38 SC and I decided to do a little test to compare the difference.

Using the current version, as in if you were to order a "deluxe quick change assembly" from Dillon, I got a very consistent reading using my Dillon terminator scale. I threw 10 rounds 3 different times. The first reading was 79.9, the second was 80.0 and the third was 80.0. A variation of .1

Using what I thought was the old system. ((My understanding of the old system was using the 2 springs that returned the powder bar and not using the long black bar. I also took of the brass piece that my finger is pointing at in the above picture off)) I got a little inconsistency. I did like the fact that my press felt like it ran a little smoother and quitter, but it had varying results. The first set of 10 throws was 79.6, the second was 80.1, and the third was 79.7. A variation of .5

I know my Dillon scale isn't the best out their, but I calibrated it before each test. My end results aren't that bad on either system, but while I was throwing the 10 charges on the "old system" I was noticing it wasn't very consistent between individual charges. For example my first throw would be: 7.9 second 8.1, third 8.0, fourth 7.8 and so on. With the newer version the deviation would be nothing, or .1 after ten throws.

During my experiment I used the same piece of brass and didn't have any brass in any of the other stations. Needless to say I will be sticking with the "new version"!

In my opinion the only thing I can think of that causes the newer version to be more consistent is the fact that the second piece of brace (again my finger is pointing at it in the above picture) taps the bracket that the base of the plastic hoppers sits on. I don't know the exact nomenclature of all he parts but I do know that when I fill the hopper with powder I can tap it several times to settle the powder. Maybe this is what the second piece of brass does causing it the throw a more consistent charge.

PM coming.

Re the return rod -- no, it isn't necessary with the springs, but . . .

I keep mine on. It provides a mechanical failsafe to ensure the charge bar returns; if for any reason the bar hangs up and the springs don't provide enough force to return the bar, the mechanical force from the rod makes double-darned sure the bar resets.

I keep mine on. It provides a mechanical failsafe to ensure the charge bar returns; if for any reason the bar hangs up and the springs don't provide enough force to return the bar, the mechanical force from the rod makes double-darned sure the bar resets.

100% agree with this.

100% agree with this.

Me too. I don't know how many guys I heard from over the years that fired a squib load in a match, that didn't have the failsafe rod installed on their Powder Measure (just had the sppings).

be

So y'all removed the "anti-return cam" on y'alls press? In my little experiment I noticed a slight discrepancy when it was not on their. Almost like it taps the "powder measure body" settling the powder for a more consistent throw.

I do like the Wesselman mod though

So y'all removed the "anti-return cam" on y'alls press? In my little experiment I noticed a slight discrepancy when it was not on their. Almost like it taps the "powder measure body" settling the powder for a more consistent throw.

I do like the Wesselman mod though

I did NOT remove any of mine. When PROPERLY adjusted, the current failsafe system works smoothly and efficiently. Many of the problems I have been able to diagnose started with the blue nut being too loose.

The new style is a good thing....to me anyway.. The little hitch and clunk in the operation also seems to help with consistency and if you ever have had powder bridging problems the "new" style linkage may give it the little extra shake to prevent this from happening.....

Took me a while to come around but I like it. cheers.gif

I did NOT remove any of mine. When PROPERLY adjusted, the current failsafe system works smoothly and efficiently. Many of the problems I have been able to diagnose started with the blue nut being too loose.

My experience is the same, I don't get the clunking. I bought my RL550 there was no return rod, that came out later, even though I hadn't had any problems I thought the rod was a good idea, so I got the upgrade kit. I have at least 3 different generations of Dillon powder measure, including the current generation, and they all work just fine. When I first got one of the newer generation powder measures it was a bit jerky, but as I used it the jerkiness went away, I guess it just needed to be broken in, none of my powder measures are jerky.