Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beginner Question

Ripper10

I have decided to take the plunge and try this game. I am a competitive rifle shooter and bring no pistol skills to the table.

Are there any good DVDs out there for a true beginner? I need the basics; stance, grip, sight alignment, reloads etc.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

For someone just starting out, I highly recommend the Burkett DVDs.

Here is what i would do. Get Brian's book, Beyond Fundamentals. It will not make a lot of sense but at the same time will. Then watch the Burkett DVDs. Watch them a couple of times.

I would strongly suggest taking a class from one of the various instructors. Nothing like hands on. You don't have a location in your profile so it is hard to suggest anyone.

Then read Brian's book again. It will make more sense the second time around.

Good luck

Just starting out myself, my wife got me Mike Seeklander's book "Your Complete Competition Handgun Training Program" I have started reading into the dry fire drills, and look forward to starting the program for real at the range.

I'm also looking into the Burkett DVDs...

I haven't watched them all, but I would imagine in the 30 to 40 plus episodes of the Power Factor Show on YouTube they would have covered grip and stance. Hey, it's free.

Edited by Chills1994

Panteao Productions has a make ready series you can look into as well. Also, youtube Max Michel, and Todd Jarrett they have a few short instructional clips showing exactly what you are looking for. I would wait till you have a little time in the sport before you take a class from one of the big names otherwise you may not understand the what/why you are being taught something. This is also the reason some of them require you to at least be classified in IDPA or USPSA before taking the class. On top of that, Brians book, Matt Burkett's series, Steve Anderson's book, and Mike Seeklander's Book. Seeklander's book is great and very detailed. Anderson's book is just straight to the point on the Drills which I like when you only have a few minutes to dry fire.

Thanks for the help guys!

As usual, the shooting sports never cease to amaze me with the sharing of information.

I am located in Southwest Pennsylvania and be shooting a Smith M&P 9L.

I am planning on preparing this winter for the Spring season, so I will have plenty of time for drills and dry firing with range time when I am ready.

I have watched videos of you guys at matches and looks like a lot of fun.

Thanks again,

Paul