Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Gun Purchase

smokshwn

I am a newbie to the whole custom gun process and although I have read posts until my eyes bled, I still have many questions about the process. I was hoping you guys would be willing to share the collective knowledge you have earned to help my process go a little better. I have been shooting competitively for about 2 years and have decided to get a gun built that I can use for all disciplines. I hope this will let me focus less on the tool and more on me (where most of the work needs to be done). Above all else I would like to have a gun that runs like a sewing machine so that I can spend my time shooting and not tinkering.

The following are still a few of my main questions. I do know I want a wide body cross competitor type of platform so that I can use it in IDPA ESP and USPSA limited and L10. This necessitates a short dustcover, bushing barrel, no radical slide cutting, etc. May good Karma come your way for helping me out.

1. Stainless Steel vs Carbon Steel (slide and frame)

2. Hardchrome vs. Tungsten Carbide vs. Gunkote vs. Blueing

3. SVI triglide trigger system vs. Koening vs. EGW vs. anything else

4. Fixed sights vs. adjustables (bomar, wilson, STI )

5. Any advice on barrels, Nowlin, Scheumann, Bar-Sto, etc.

6. Which magwells actually fit in the IDPA box?

7. And ultimately who is your gunsmith of choice and why?

I know this is long and I apologize for all the repeated info but I have done the searches and I just would like to hear specific answers from those who have "walked the path before me". Thanx Again Craig

1. Carbon Steel (slide and frame)

2. Hardchrome

3. Koening hammer, EGW sear, Ed Brown disconnector, SVI Tri-glide sear spring, STI short trigger, mainspring weight to be determined by builder

4. Adjustables (Wilson)

5. Any advice on barrels, Nowlin, Scheumann, Bar-Sto, etc. No advice from me on this one.

6. Which magwells actually fit in the IDPA box? SV is good for this purpose, as I understand it. I prefer STI's for my guns, but, obviously you'll need to find someone that knows if it fits the box.

7. Benny Hill. Can't be sure that this is where www.triangleshootingsports.com gets its name, but I was always given this analogy for service: you've got a triangle, at one corner is cheap, another is fast, and the third is good. Pick two. With Benny you get all three. :)

Craig,

Call Benny Hill and tell him you want a S_I for IDPA ESP and let him do the rest.

1) Carbon Steel

2) HArdchorme or Blued - doesn't matter

3) Extreeme Eng hammer, sear disconnect w/ Short trigger

4) Wilson rear adjustables

5) Barsto - no question about it.

6) STI magwell fits - at least on mine

7) see first line

1. Stainless Steel vs Carbon Steel (slide and frame)

Carbon Steel

2. Hardchrome vs. Tungsten Carbide vs. Gunkote vs. Blueing

Hard Chrome or NP3 (nickel+teflon).

3. SVI triglide trigger system vs. Koening vs. EGW vs. anything else

Koenig hammer, STI sear, Ed Brown Discon, ISMI Springs, Ed Brown ambi's,

AFTEC extractor

4. Fixed sights vs. adjustables (bomar, wilson, STI )

Bomar adjustable rear, fiber optic front

5. Any advice on barrels, Nowlin, Scheumann, Bar-Sto, etc.

Nothing but Nowlin barrels and Ed Brown Bushing.

6. Which magwells actually fit in the IDPA box?

Not really needed for IDPA IMHO

7. And ultimately who is your gunsmith of choice and why?

Benny Hill. One of the very best in the biz. He won't put you on a

year-long waiting list either.

Take a look around SVI's catalog. They build their guns part by part, any gunsmith should be able to get the one's that you like. http://www.sviguns.com/catalog2001/

The interchangeable trigger system (ITS) allows you to make changes to the trigger shoe to suit your shooting style without buying a new trigger and adjusting it. I also vote for the Aftec extractor. It's strong and easily adjustable.