Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder bar binding up with Titegroup

Wondering if anybody else has seen powder bar issues with Titegroup. I have worked up .40 S&W and .45 loads in Titegroup that I love, and it is so clean burning even my teenager can clean the pistols after shooting practice (don't get me started on his room).

It seems that, after about a pound through a hopper, there is a grey build up on the static bar, the one that the powder bar slides on. It seems that this is probably the powder, so cleaning is in order. Before I recharge the hopper, I take it apart, clean all surface and polish lightly with a soft pad on a dremel.

After recharging with powder, it runs great for about 1000 rounds. Then I notice the return stroke get a little rougher. The build up of powder residue is back, and when I run one case at a time I can tell that the increased resistance is definitely from the resistance of the hopper. I have about 15k rounds through each hopper, could it be that the powder bar surfaces are just worn and allowing flake powder between them?

I only have this problem with Titegroup, not H322 or other ball powder. I love this powder and don't want to change. Thoughts?

Never had any problems with TG when I used it.

What is the humidity like while this has been going on? Might be bonding to itself? Try emptying out the hopper after each session for awhile and see if it helps.

Polishing things might be opening up tolerances a little? Some things can be polished too much I guess.

And of course, call Dillon while sitting in front of the press and explain what is going on. They will most likely be a huge help.

60lbs plus through mine, still works good. The gray powder is the graphite that is covering the TG fropm teh factory. I am sure that you will get some build up.

I will however be calling Dillon about the over sized bar. I think having one or three spare in the shop is a good thing.

Took the hopper apart, cleaned, micro the bars (.356 for both). Put it back together, and it works like a charm.

It is humid where I am (well, not this summer...), so I might have a problem with gelatinous residue if the powder gets moist.

I don't have a solution, but I'll monitor the situation and document lbs between cleaning. If all else fails, a little PM every couple of lbs won't kill me.

Thanks for the thoughts!