Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Durable folding AR Front sight?

barrysuperhawk

Ok, I am going to be re-doing my 3-gun .308 AR this winter and one thing I am going to do is add a clamp on Front sight [.750 bbl] out at the end of the barrel, dissy style, to maximize my sight radius. Plan A was just a regular clamp on fixed front sight, but then I saw the YHM folding Front:

l_100002077_1.jpg

...and that got me to thinking if I go to matches that allow 1X in HM that it might be nice to be able to fold it down out of the way. To be fair, I would also consider a Globe or gas block clamp on if it would hold up and return to zero after being removed. The problem is that I am less than convinced of "the toss it in a barrel" durability of a folding front sight, so what I am asking is what are your experiences with how well any particular folding front sight holds up to barricades, barrels and the other hazards that 3 gun presents. I am also interested if anyone has had issues with a particular brand or style either holding zero or losing it after being bashed. :sight:

I had a rifle set up that way with that sight for a number of years. The original plan was for it to be duel purpose, irons and optics match rifle. In reality it never got used for either as a match rifle, because I started building other things out of boredom. The sight is very strong and solid.

ArArAr.jpg

I recently sold it to make the rifle a dedicated irons gun, since I never did use it with optics. The YHM mount was a whole lot more secure than the front sight base I'm using now. I felt much better about the YHM not moving than I do the Armalite.

comps.jpg

Edited by cas

Ok, I am going to be re-doing my 3-gun .308 AR this winter and one thing I am going to do is add a clamp on Front sight [.750 bbl] out at the end of the barrel, dissy style, to maximize my sight radius. Plan A was just a regular clamp on fixed front sight, but then I saw the YHM folding Front:

l_100002077_1.jpg

...and that got me to thinking if I go to matches that allow 1X in HM that it might be nice to be able to fold it down out of the way. To be fair, I would also consider a Globe or gas block clamp on if it would hold up and return to zero after being removed. The problem is that I am less than convinced of "the toss it in a barrel" durability of a folding front sight, so what I am asking is what are your experiences with how well any particular folding front sight holds up to barricades, barrels and the other hazards that 3 gun presents. I am also interested if anyone has had issues with a particular brand or style either holding zero or losing it after being bashed. :sight:

No problems with them in over 3 years of dumping in a barrel during grounding on both an .223 and .308 AR . I modified it slightly by drilling and tapping the side of the housing and the folding tower itself. I secure it in the upright position with a 10-32 tpi screw. The screw will also remove all the wobble that you get from the tower portion. Simply take the screw out to fold it back down. The center pivot pin is about a 10 in size and it has proved itself to be strong enough. I also red loctite the screws and use the green wicking grade under the clamping surfaces to keep it from turning. I haven't had any problems with barrel heat defeating the loctite.

Barry, are you giving up on the perfect HM rifle even before you get out to shoot it???? What happened to the M1A????

To be more precise [forgive the pun] I am not giving up on my AR pattern .308 rifles. Regardless of what I do with the M1A [or the FAL, for that matter] I still do own AR pattern .308's...

Back on topic, does anyone have any better suggestions for a durable, clamp on front sight? I have seen pictures of one that folds open to a regular triangle profile, but I have never seen one in person to judge how durable it is...

Also, in my own searches on the subject I noticed that the YHM seems to be the only one that can be assembled without removing the FH [a plus because I am not looking forward to breaking the factory screwed on REALLY MASHED crush washer godawful tight mess that's on there now. I can just see myself slipping with the wrench and buggering something...

Hmmm I wonder if it might be worth it to send it to ADCO or someone and get a real brake put on there at the same time...

Edited by barrysuperhawk

Barry I have been down this road before. What you want is the PRI clamp on gas block and then add a Troy flip up front sight. The block is receiver height so you can now use standard same plane AR-15 sights.

http://www.precisionreflex.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=186676&CAT=4211

Cam eluded to my revised HM set up, when I can I will post pics.

Rob

If you decide to go with a ARMALITE platform we have a 18" barrel set up for Irons at end of the barrel.

Edited by mr50mag

You might consider a railed front gas block at the end of your barrel, and a bolt on non-folding front sight for when you want to go irons. Remove it when you want to go optics. More durable than a folding unit and still removable.

Armalite and DPMS both sell one (and probably others). The Armalite link is below.

http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=E20151&ReturnUrl=Categories.aspx?Category=b5d84597-3666-4326-89c9-15fac1afdf18

• 4 weeks later...

So, I was at a gunshow last weekend and found the above mentioned YHM for sale. As I was looking at it, I noticed the ARMS folding front sight right next to it:

ARMS_AR-15_Sight_Silhouette41-BL.jpg

Holding them up next to each other the ARMS looked and felt WAAAY more durable. It's double the price, but if I get the YHM and then find a way to hork it up, would I be willing to have spent the extra $70?