Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Squib or low powder?

davester00

Today I went to a match and was shooting some reloads.

200 grn Dardas LSWC

5.1 grn Solo 1000

CCI primers and mixed brass

Dillon 550

Thru my 5” barrel 1911

While shooting I pulled the trigger and out came a light pop.

Shell did not eject but I was visually able to see the bullet fly thru the air and strike the metal plate.

So I tapped / racked and continued to fire.

Had I not seen the bullet fly thru the air I would have dropped my mag and cleared the chamber and took a DNF for the stage.

So my question is? Do you guys think it was a squib or insufficient charge? Would most squibs lodge the bullet in a 5” barrel?

Let me know what you reloading guru’s think.

Thanks.

Is it possible to put a low powder warning die on a Dillion 550? The 550 only has 4 stations.

Sounds like a low powder charge to me. If your loading on a Dillon you might want to invest in a low powder warning die.

Also I situate myself where I can see the charged case before I seat the bullet. Good Luck.

Is it possible to put a low powder warning die on a Dillion 550? The 550 only has 4 stations.

Sounds like a low powder charge to me. If your loading on a Dillon you might want to invest in a low powder warning die.

Also I situate myself where I can see the charged case before I seat the bullet. Good Luck.

It may be possible if you use a combined seating/crimping die, but I personally wouldn't recommend going that route.

The definition of a squib load is one in which a projectile fails to exit the barrel. So you have answered the question by noting that the bullet exited the barrel and struck the target.

The USPSA DEFINITION of a squib is one that fails to leave the barrel. But in general use the term squib typically means any round that was not loaded with enough powder or none at all. I hear it all the time,"I had a squib but I wasn't sure it cleared the barrel".

That definition is used in places other than USPSA as well.

This is from Wikipedia:

"A squib load, also known as a squib round, pop and no kick, or just a squib, is a firearms malfunction in which a fired projectile does not have enough force behind it to exit the barrel, and thus becomes stuck. This type of malfunction can be extremely dangerous, as failing to notice that the projectile has become stuck in the barrel may result in another round being fired directly into the obstructed barrel, resulting in a catastrophic failure of the weapon's structural integrity".

Edited by 45 Raven