Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blue Dot and 9MM?

Heathen

I'm pretty new to reloading and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I went to buy a lb of Titegroup but unfortunately they were out. I was in a rush so I panicked and grabbed Blue Dot.

When I got home I searched Blue Dot and 9mm and found a couple of posts telling me that Blue Dot isn't ideal for 9mm. I'm not really sure what that means. Does it mean don't use it at all? Can I still get reasonable practice ammo out of it? I'm not trying to make power factors, just getting ready to take the black badge with an M&P Pro.

Also, I would be using it with 147gr plated bullets.

I hope this is in the right place, I apologize if its not

Thanks for your help

Blue Dot is an excellent large caliber magnum pistol powder. I used it for hunting loads in my 44 mag. It is probably not a really good choice for 9mm.

If you haven't opened it yet you may be able to swap for something better. Look in your loading manual and select a few powders that comes closest (on paper) to the one you normally use. Try them instead of Blue Dot...you may like them.

Blue Dot can be used, it just isn't the "optimal" powder.. it will tend to be a little dirty and have a bit more snap to it than a more medium burn rate powder. It was one of the older powders that people used to make 9 major with 15-20 years ago before there were better choices available. As long as you load it to what Alliant tells you to, you should have few issues beyond it being dirty..

Blue dot is a "slower" burning powder so you may see more flame out the front and a bunch of unburnt flakes in the gun. The flame is the powder that did not burn in the barrel and is not contributing to velocity. I remember a lot of flame out of my shotgun when I used Blue Dot for heavy field loads.