Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powders and accuracy

DoubleA

It's all a very personal choice. You can find an accurate load for just about any powder. It really depends on what you're trying to accomplish. People choose powders based on how they want their gun to feel. The general goal is to get a gun to cycle the way a person likes, then develop the load to achieve the desired velocity.

You have different burn rates with different powders. Some slow, some fast, and some anywhere in between. It also depends on barrel length and if the barrel has a comp or ports. Rifle, Pistol, or Shotgun. All variables which will effect the decision of what powder people choose.

Some powders have a more consistent burn rate which in theory leads to more accurate ammo. However, many things come into play for accuracy. Rifling, quality of brass, primers, bullet weight, quality of bullet, barrel lock up, and mostly human error all play a part in accuracy.

At the end of the day if all other conditions are perfect. The most accurate powder would be based upon the consistency at which the powder burns to create a combustion to push the projectile down the tube at the same velocity each and every time. This would in theory cause the bullet to hit the same spot over and over again.

Now your next question might be. Well which powder is that? I caution you this question could open up Pandora's Box. People have argued this since the dawn of forums.

To get to the most accurate powder, you would have to make all the other variables equal. For example, if you tossed out that you're shooting an STI Edge .40 with 5" barrel and 180gr FMJ FN Precision Delta bullets with mixed brass and Winchester small pistol primers and shoot typically in 100 deg, humid weather at typical USPSA targets and distances. I'm betting you would get a great response from many on what powder is more accurate for this setup.

To get to the most accurate powder, you would have to make all the other variables equal. For example, if you tossed out that you're shooting an STI Edge .40 with 5" barrel and 180gr FMJ FN Precision Delta bullets with mixed brass and Winchester small pistol primers and shoot typically in 100 deg, humid weather at typical USPSA targets and distances. I'm betting you would get a great response from many on what powder is more accurate for this setup.

Which a typical response would be my favorite powder is VV N320, however, I use Titegroup because it is easier on the wallet. :cheers:

That's kinda what I was getting at with the original post. You see a great many posts about "brand whatever powder is super accurate and what not", but I keep thinking how can that be an absolute truth when there are so many variables in the equation. I see this as especially true when it is so easy for human error to rear its head.

It has more to do with power factor. People generally try to find loads that produce the least amount of felt recoil with the least amount of muzzle rise. In addition, they are searching for the load to still produce solid grouping. Some powders give way to grouping and cycle the gun the way a shooter likes. Which the shooter then says its accurate powder.

I'm new to reloading (just a few months) but your response: "my favorite powder is VV N320, however, I use xxxx because it is easier on the wallet." is a response I've heard and read already many times both online and offline.

Which a typical response would be my favorite powder is VV N320, however, I use Titegroup because it is easier on the wallet. :cheers:

Just keep reading and stick with the basic loads. If you have any questions, stop immediately, then ask somebody. Reloading can be fun, but also dangerous and costly if not done properly. Overtime you will try different powders and by asking lots of questions your knowledge will grow.

And yes a lot of people compromise their favorite powder for a cheaper powder. In an economy like this you have to go for the most bang for your buck. If you shoot 800-1500 rounds a week it really adds up quick if you don't watch the bottom line.

If you have a reloading supply shop in driving distance shop at it. Yes, in today's economy it is usually cheaper for things online. However, paying a little bit more and getting customer service/knowledge is priceless when learning. Go to the shop pick up a book on reloading and start picking their brain.

The barrel and the gun decide on the powder. For action shooting, as this forum is dedicated to, accuracy is NOT the issue. The recoil impulse to make the PF is the deciding factor. This is alien to me, but there you have it.

I find that for light target loads, where accuracy is name of the game, I get best results in almost all my guns with AA2. For slighter faster loads, I find AA5 is almost always excellent and 231/HP38 is close behind.

For .45ACP, for light target loads, I find Clays and Solo 1000 just a bit less accurate than AA2 in various 1911s.

For .40 S&W, and not working with excessively heavy bullets and excessively fast powders, I get best accuracy with AA5 and AA2 for light loads and Silhouette is tops for heavy loads.

For .38 Super, I get best performance with AA5 for mid-range loads and Silhouette and AA7 for +P loads. Light target loads do best with AA2 and Solo 1000 (Solo 1000 has be unbelievable at 4.3gn with 121gn-125gn jacketed bullets in .38 Super. This load, while it doesn't function any of my .38 Supers, has been producing groups of 0.91-1.81", c-to-c at 25 yds. I am thinking about trying lighter springs and loading this for the wife and kids.

I have just started working with them, but Competition shows promise to be quite accurate like AA2 and Zip is looking to be right in there with AA5 and 231/HP38. Another powder I have just started working with is WSF. I have only worked with .38 Super, so far, but 5.7-5.9gn WSF and a 121-125gn jacketed bullet has produced a lot of 1.38-1.88" c-to-c groups at 25 yds, except for the Zero 38 Super 121gn JHP which shows a definite preference for 6.4-6.6gn of WSF, with most groups running from 1.06-1.69" c-to-c at 25 yds.

I have not found TiteGroup to be particularly accurate in any cartridge, but that could be simply that my 25+ guns simply don't like it or WST at all.

N310 is too fast for any cartridge except for .45 ACP and .38 Special 147gn Wadcutter loads, and it has not even been close to the accuracy I get with AA2, Clays, or Unique.

I hope to try N320 soon, but I expect it to be very close to Competition, except it may be a little cleaner.

• 2 weeks later...

agree, the most accurate powders for me were not the softest shooting. prefer a clean powder with a mellow recoil impulse over the most accurate powder

I'm not exactly a noob but I would say I'm not very experienced either. Your statement falls in my philosophy also. I use Unique not because it's the most accurate but because there are recipes for virtually all the handguns I load. It's got a mild impulse but you can still laod it enough to cycle even a Eagle in 50AE. It's in the middle for cost. It's widely available. It's usually a compressed load in .40 and smaller (which means it's hard to double charge by accident). It's also a little diry and smoky. It may not be the most accurate, cleanest, cheapest...etc but for me it's my goto powder. Someone else was commenting about AA#2 which I use from time to time in .32 SWL...I find it to be REALLY smokey but very mellow. This is out of a 1-7/8" snubnose. It's all relative. For some it's Tite Group, Power Pistol, Red Dot..etc.

You just have to find what you like to shoot for the format you're loading for.

Undrpsi