Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When is it legal to top off more than 8 in the tube?

RAZZ

OK, so I've been trying to read the rules of a number of different 3-gun matches, both outlaw and USPSA, and I'm still a little confused. In Tac Optics, in what situation would you be allowed to have more than 8+1, or when would you be able to top off to a capacity greater than 8 in the tube (after the start, of course)? Is it match-dependant?

ETA As long as I'm asking shotgun questions, how many of you have a sling on your shotgun (or rifle), or at least have the ability to put one on during a match? Is it commonly used?

Edited by RAZZ

slings are rarely utilized.

As for the adding ammo, whenever the rules say "8+1 at the start, capacity will not be limited after the buzzer" or something along those lines, you can add more ammo. if they sayt something to the effect of "shotguns may not hold more than 8 rounds at any time" well then you can only run with 8 in the tube at any given time. The short answer is its match dependant.

To add to Corey's..

USPSA.. you can never top off in Tac Optics it's a Division limit, a course description can not change that.

In most IMA matches: (SSM3G, etc).. It's 8 in the tube to start, you can usually top off, but you'd be wise to confirm every match.. just in case

I added sling attachements to my M2, used it once or twice in 5 or 6 years, only at Iron Man.

My experience has been its specific to the match. Outlaw matches, I have no experience with USPSA matches.

Especially in lower level matches the match staff may not be aware the there is a difference between starting with 9 or a max of 9.

Even at larger matches it pays to ask and review the rules just prior to the match.

My first major match the rules were posted months in advance and were changed prior to the match. Capacity went from "8+1" to "9 max at the start".

So now, if it is not clear in the rules that you can have more than 9 in the gun after the start, I ask the MD.

David E.

Blue Ridge is a match that often requires the use of a sling on the shotgun.

I used the sling on my shotgun several times. and always at Blue Ridge. more than 1/2 the matches I go to let you top off more than 8 after the time starts.

I like to use the slung gun behind my back , most of the time its in use your having to move some distance engaging targets on the way. If you have to take one extra shot because the gun is in front, thin you have used up any time saved over having it slung forward instead of back.

I can't think of any event that once you started using the shotgun that you had to resling it. thats kind of like re-holstering the hand-gun.