Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 650 and 40 S&W Die Selection

I am about to order a Dillon 650 and would appreciate some advise on die selection.... do most of you 650 users go with the Dillon dies or do you use other brands (RCBS, etc...) or perhaps a mix?? Just curious before I take the plunge. I am planning on primarily loading 40 S&W for USPSA shooting...

Thanks!

Phil

Email BE he will guide u in the right direction. He called me within an hour and I ordered what he said I should, that was 3mo. ago and about 5k rounds and still running well!

BE is going on vacation for the rest of the week: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=137830

Edited by Skydiver

If you know that you'll be sticking with only one load, the Dillon seating die will do, but if you'll be trying different loads and OALs, then the Redding Competition Seating die is a godsend.

If you don't use a GR-X or a CasePro to get rid of the Glock bulge on .40S&W, a Lee U-die can be used to replace the Dillon decapping/sizing die.

Get the Lee Deluxe 3 Die set. Add a Taper crimp die from Lee. Most versatile setup. Great sizing die, great seating die (Redding is hyper expensive so it better be good) and crimp dies are a dime a dozen. All your doing is de-flaring anyway. U-die is overkill if you just start with the standard Lee you won't need it. Some loading for specific guns use a Lee die to make the rounds smaller to get a extra round in the magazine. But all my stuff case gauges with a standard Lee die.

Edited by 98sr20ve

Get the Lee Deluxe 3 Die set. Add a Taper crimp die from Lee. Most versatile setup. Great sizing die, great seating die (Redding is hyper expensive so it better be good) and crimp dies are a dime a dozen. All your doing is de-flaring anyway. U-die is overkill if you just start with the standard Lee you won't need it. Some loading for specific guns use a Lee die to make the rounds smaller to get a extra round in the magazine. But all my stuff case gauges with a standard Lee die.

Umm... not sure I agree with that... I suppose I should post some pictures of some brass that was shot in an unsupported barrel. They are what is referred to a guppie bellied brass and *most* dies won't get down far enough to remove the last ring... Put that in a competition barrel and you are asking for either the brass to get stuck (had it happen more than once) and/or, you won't get the slide into battery and then you are stuck, can't get the brass out, can't get the brass in.

The advantage of the *U* die is that not only is it a few .001 smaller in diameter, the carbide insert in it is closer to the base of the die and it allows the die to travel further down the brass.

I've never heard the "get more rounds in the gun" thing, in fact, I doubt that would actually work... 20 rounds at .001 is .02 of an inch improvement... Not sure that would offer much in bullet capacity... Better to just have the mag tuned if that it what you are after...

While this is a much more prevalent issue with .40, it happens with 9mm all the time too....

For me, personally, I roll size all my 9mm and .40 brass, and then just use a regular sizing die... at the moment dillon, but I think I'm going to change to a Lee... I have a different issue with the dillon that I need to verify.

Alan

Edited by Alan Adamson

The advantage of the *U* die is that not only is it a few .001 smaller in diameter, the carbide insert in it is closer to the base of the die and it allows the die to travel further down the brass.

Not true. U-Die is a standard Lee sizing die (in design). ONLY difference is it's .001 smaller. I have been loading for KKM and LW barrels for years never ever a issue. Yes, Compared to Dillon it's closer to the base. Exception will of course exist. But most people go from a Dillon Die to a U-Die. Not from a Lee Die to a U-Die.

I've never heard the "get more rounds in the gun" thing, in fact, I doubt that would actually work... 20 rounds at .001 is .02 of an inch improvement... Not sure that would offer much in bullet capacity... Better to just have the mag tuned if that it what you are after...

Alan

I think it's the Tanfoglio guys doing some weird stuff like that. It's not really important.

Alan

I think it's the Tanfoglio guys doing some weird stuff like that. It's not really important.

This was to work around the rampant nose diving issues with the old large frame .40 magazines for the Tanfoglios. The the case had to be sized nicely, bullet loaded long at 1.225, and magazine feedlips set at .385-.390. The problem has now be solved when Tanfoglio has gone to Mecgar to produce the K-series of magazines earlier this year. No more feeding issues.

I'm using Hornady New Dimension dies and like them. Redding dies are definitely top shelf and about the same money as Dillon if you don't get the micrometer seating die. I'd probably have Dillon dies but I already had the Hornadys. Kept the dies sold the red press. :devil:

All that said I cannot recommend the carbide Redding Grx die strongly enough. Pick up a cheap used single stage or Lee press, get this die, run them through and then just run regular Dillon or Redding dies on your 650. I never case gage anymore and have never had a round fail to chamber in my Schumann AET barrel. And I've had a few that were bulged so badly that the bulge folded over and wouldn't even go through the Grx die. So the bulge is an issue that you will have to deal with.

Good choice on the 650.

I've got the Redding Competition Pro-Series .40 die set (with the micrometer seating die), and added the new dual-ring sizing die to it. This setup wasn't cheap, but runs well in the 650 and makes some nice ammo. Everything on my bench was Redding green until going to a Dillon. I'm just a big fan of their dies.

I've been loading on my 550 using Dillon dies in S&W40 for several years and several thousand rounds, at least half the 40 brass I've got was originally fired in a Glock, and I've had no issues whatsoever loading for my M&P 40.