Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tapping a frame for cmore

rupture

all you need is a good clamp, the correct size transfer punch, drill press, drill bit, tap, and a drill press vise. easy to do if the drill press and drill press table is level and square. although the best way is a mill.

all you need is a good clamp, the correct size transfer punch, drill press, drill bit, tap, and a drill press vise. easy to do if the drill press and drill press table is level and square. although the best way is a mill.

Want to provide the steps for him to follow? Never done it myself but thinking clearance height and keeping the platform level would be two key components.

keeping the platform level is easy. just level with the mount clamped to the frame but remember that the slide is cut at an angle i think like 2 degrees dont remember would have to check. use the bottom of the frame to level the gun then level the mount. if its off a little its no big deal if the dot is adjustable like all are.clearance is up to the installer. mine is 19thousandths off the slide. if you level and clamp the mount to the frame at the clearance you want then use the transfer punch to mark the frame.then remove the clamp,mount,slide etc. use a good center punch to deepen the marks made by the transfer punch( if needed). level frame in drill press vise. line up drill bit with indent marks and drill. then tap.

• 3 years later...

keeping the platform level is easy. just level with the mount clamped to the frame but remember that the slide is cut at an angle i think like 2 degrees dont remember would have to check. use the bottom of the frame to level the gun then level the mount. if its off a little its no big deal if the dot is adjustable like all are.clearance is up to the installer. mine is 19thousandths off the slide. if you level and clamp the mount to the frame at the clearance you want then use the transfer punch to mark the frame.then remove the clamp,mount,slide etc. use a good center punch to deepen the marks made by the transfer punch( if needed). level frame in drill press vise. line up drill bit with indent marks and drill. then tap.

Thanks. Gonna give it a try.