Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Metering problems with TrueBlue

RC1

Hi.

I am using True-Blue for my 9major shorty and I love the way it shoots.

My problem is that sometimes when loading with my 650 it will drop a light load. I am using just over 8.0 but every once in awhile it will only drop 7.0. I have checked and rechecked everything that I can think of. The only thing that I have not done is run a ground-wire; True-Blue is such a fine powder I wonder if static electricity could be the problem?

If anyone has any suggestions I would be grateful.

Thanks Rick

A few things to check: First, be sure the powder bar goes full travel well before the handle bottoms out. If you are barely flaring the case mouth, it may be that the powder die height adjustment is too marginal for the variation in case lengths. I suggest you set the die so that a flared case mouth is about .010" larger in diameter than a sized, unflared case mouth.

Next, with the newer powder measure, be sure that the blue wing nut at the bottom of the return rod is sufficiently tight to ensure complete return of the powder bar to pick up the next powder charge. With the handle pushed FORWARD, as when seating a primer, the coil spring above the blue wing nut should be considerably compressed.

Make sure the bellcrank bolt is tight. If your bolt goes all the way through the housing, and has a nut on the opposite side, examine it and be sure it is the current nylock nut, so that it won't come loose. Examine the bellcrank cube for cracks, and to make sure it is in place.

It also helps to periodically dump the powder out of the measure, remove the powder bar and spacer, and wipe the bar, interior of the metal housing, the interior of the steel drop tube in the bottom of the measure using alcohol. Also swab out the interior of the powder funnel. Do not use petroleum based solvents, because they will melt the plastic hopper tube on contact. Very messy.

I have been using true blue in a 650 for a while now and no problems. I average 10 round when I start loading and three more every time I reload primers...They have always been +/- .1 gr.

Although I've never loaded true blue, I've had the same problem with Win. 231, and Win 748, with two different powder measures. My bottom nut doesn't loosen up, and I've tried the dryer sheet thing. I'll have to try cleaning them both out.