Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

140 gr 40 major

tangiltows

any info or data for this. looking to load 180 gr tc for wimp loads and 140 tc's for major w/ cast bullets in both. 180's w/ clays and maybe power pistol w/ the 140's for major. not looking for load data per say, just has anyone used a cast 140 for a major load? got an e-mail into donnie @ bayou bullets to see if he has a 140 gr green @ this weight or if he will coat & size a bullet i provide. looks like a 140 @ 1200'ish might be a good ticket in a polygonal bore. shooting a tanfo limited and gold team. laura&vic

I have been using Bayou Bullets 140gr TC bullet at 1150fps in my 610 for AP matches. Not quite major but not far from it. I will try them in my Freedom Gun Works 6" gun when I get it. I am hoping the results are favorable.

I shot a 135 gr Nosler HP at 1250-1300 fps using PP for a while. I was near 9 grains out of a 4" barrel. Snappy is right.

Clays with 180s is powder puff soft, but I never could get any kind of accuracy out of the load at 25 yards.

Edited by mizer67

Most limited shooters prefer the softer slower recoil pulse of a heavier bullet. I shot open 40 for a while with 135gr bullets loaded with 7.3gr of IMR7625. They shot nice in the open gun. One Saturday morning a friend had no ammo for his limited gun, he used the 135gr loads, and shot one of his best matches ever and said they wern't bad. I never tried them in an non compensated gun.

My fovorite 40 major load is 185gr Precison with 4.7gr of WST set 1.185. I recently switched to BayouBullet's 180gr same 4.7gr of WST, the accuracy is great and feel is good, out of my 5" STI Edge.

I have a bunch of 165gr Federal CQB ammo and that stuff will break your wrist, way snappy, so for me I'm sticking with 180's.