Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mp5

n1guess

So your options are some what limited.

The nicest option would probably be a real HK 94,however they are usually quite expensive now days.

Several folks have made clones at one time or another. Search for bobcat arms, vector ams, coharie arms. I believe all of them do or have at one time made an hk94/semi-auto mp5 clone of varying quality.

I think american tactical (made in turkey I think) makes a semi sorta clone (said to not be parts compatible)... depends on why you want it as to what to look for. For some lite reading go check out the forums on hkpro.com. Kinda the enos forums for all things hk.

If you could live with a pistol or were willing to do the paperwork for an sbr you might look at http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/viewcategories.asp?idcategory=290

Edited by caspian guy

If you want hassle-free, you buy an SP89/HK94 and pay the premium.

Stay away from Velocity arms (not even a roller locked design) and Bobcat/SW/Cohaire (or whatever TB calls his company today).

The Vectors are nice, if you get a good one, but might need some tuning.

The MKEs are supposed to be pretty good.

Buy MKE.

They are being discontinued and the price will spike soon.

I'd get a 9mm AR if I were you. Plenty more accessories, cheap magazines, and you can actually find parts...

The prices on MKEs have already gone up quite a bit, but still a long way to go to the 89/94 prices.

• 3 weeks later...

If you want hassle-free, you buy an SP89/HK94 and pay the premium.

Stay away from Velocity arms (not even a roller locked design) and Bobcat/SW/Cohaire (or whatever TB calls his company today).

The Vectors are nice, if you get a good one, but might need some tuning.

The MKEs are supposed to be pretty good.

+1 to all this...

94's are running 3-4K right now IIRC and seems like a lot (ok IS a lot) but the real thing is boringly consistent...then of course I'd need the SBR stamp and the work...$$$

I had a Vector 51 that ran like a top once I got all the grease out...they said be sure to leave grease in for X rounds, it wouldn't run...took grease out ran and ran and ran - go figure :blink:

But I digress.

No compromise.

On the 9mm AR... I had a Rock River dedicated 9mm AR for a while and it was a mess with anything but converted Uzi mags. The C-Product mags would not run right in it and the plastic ProMags were total CRAP but worked until the feedlips broke the first time they were dropped. The gun itself was good quality and it would have been turned into an SBR if I could have got good mags that locked the bolt open. It's my understanding that the Uzi mags can be modified to lock the bolt back but mine didn't.

All that being said I would love an MP5 as well. The price is the only thing holding me back.