Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Challenge training

Scooter

Scooter,

It probably depends largely on your temperament.  I know that I tend to shoot much better if I can practice a certain stage over and over to really get the feel for all of the movements involved.  However, I find that you can overdo it ---- so if you were to decide to practice the stages, I would recommend stopping a few days before the match and doing some other shooting ---- be it accuracy work at longer distances, or working on your first shot.

Scooter,

I've always practiced the courses for that match. You might try some variables if you feel you are not being stimulated by your practice. Maybe shoot the courses on paper targets, IPSC or paper plates. Do a quite a bit of first shot training, this is huge for the Challenge. Inspect the stages for your NPA startup point. Get intimate with each stage. Breakdown your worst stages until you have no doubts remaining about what you will do at each moment. And above all, don't take anything for granted - during practice and especially at the match.

be

• 1 month later...

If you can find it, check out Lenny Magills "How to Shoot Fast and Accurately".  It was produced back in 1988 or so, but there is tons of priceless advice from Brian, Rob, Jerry, Chip, JM.....I've pretty much committed it to memory so I don't really watch it anymore, but my old shooting partner just left for the SC and he didn't give it back.  Great tape.

You also get to see BE's awsome draw on Double Trouble.....