Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli SBEII for 3gun?

loneranger04

I'm new to 3gun and have only shot a couple of local matches. I just spent more than I could afford on a upper for my AR for 3gun and now I'm working on the shotgun part and don't really have any money left to put into a shotgun. I have a Benelli SBEII with a 24" barrel that has been my bird/turkey gun and it looks like, after reading some of these post, that it will do to start with however I was wondering what all I would need to do to it to make it work for 3gun. Do I need sights? Or can I use just the beads on the barrel I have now? I've never tried loading this shotgun quickly, will that be a problem? My first two matches I used my 870 pump with a cylinder bore which worked fine however the guys winning are using auto loaders. Should I just stick with the 870?

Thanks ahead of time.

If it will cycle with lighter loads (2 3/4" 3-3 1/4 dram 1 1/8 oz), then by all means put a Nordic tube on it and use it. Later, you can put the Nordic tube on a Benelli M2 if you decide to change. I have never shot a SBE, but if the loading gate is set up like an M1/2,it shouldn't be a problem to load. I would think that you would be faster with it than you are with an 870. I own several 870s and a couple of Benellis, I can load the Benellis faster due to the shape of the shell carrier and size and shape of the loading port, you may be different though.

Hurley

I have a SBE2 that I use for duck hunting. It would also serve as my backup 3 gun SG in the event that my M2 went down. Mine will run 3 dram Federals no problem. The nice thing is that the magazine extention is the same for both guns.

Since you already have the SBE2 just buy a Nordic ext. tube and use it in a match. If you later decide to buy something like the M2 then you already have the ext. tube. If you don't feel that you want/need/whatever it then just sell the ext. tube and keep using the SBE2 for whatever you originally bought it for.

I have a SBE2 that I use for duck hunting. It would also serve as my backup 3 gun SG in the event that my M2 went down. Mine will run 3 dram Federals no problem. The nice thing is that the magazine extention is the same for both guns.

Since you already have the SBE2 just buy a Nordic ext. tube and use it in a match. If you later decide to buy something like the M2 then you already have the ext. tube. If you don't feel that you want/need/whatever it then just sell the ext. tube and keep using the SBE2 for whatever you originally bought it for.

Me too... :D

I used my old duck hunting HK SBE for a while as I got back into 3 gun. I fed it 3DE (1200 fps) 1 1/8oz shot loads and Remington 1oz Low Recoil slugs and its never let me down, Add a Nordic mag tube extension and you are well on your way.

The most important thing is to get out and shoot....have a good time :goof:

Edited by GunCat

This gun goes bang with everything that I've ever put through it. I've probably only put 200-300rounds through it but I've never had a failure. I appreciate your feedback. I've went ahead and ordered a nordic extension for it and I'll play with it some before our next match to see what the fastest way is to reload. Guess I'd better try some different choke tubes and see what it patterns best with.

I've shot IDPA for several years and was afraid to shoot one of these matches because it looks addictive...and it is. It's a lot of fun....but it can get pretty expensive fast.

Come on guys, how am I going to continue to best him when you all keep giving him good advice???

I was planning the COF's for the next match to include a whole lot of poppers at 30-40 yds. with birdshot just for that cylinder bore gun of his!!!

Good call on the SBE, I too started with mine and it runs with everything from light skeet loads to full-house 3.5" loads. I just didn't want to put all the wear and tear on my regular hunting SG so I bought an M1 and now the SBE is there for backup. As far as sights go, I'm still running the FO but when slugs are required I have to really make sure I use a good check weld everytime. It seems to work well enough out to 100 but that's another thing I really like about the Benneli's is the ability to semi-custom fit the gun with the included stock shim kit.

Come on guys, how am I going to continue to best him when you all keep giving him good advice???

I was planning the COF's for the next match to include a whole lot of poppers at 30-40 yds. with birdshot just for that cylinder bore gun of his!!!

Good call on the SBE, I too started with mine and it runs with everything from light skeet loads to full-house 3.5" loads. I just didn't want to put all the wear and tear on my regular hunting SG so I bought an M1 and now the SBE is there for backup. As far as sights go, I'm still running the FO but when slugs are required I have to really make sure I use a good check weld everytime. It seems to work well enough out to 100 but that's another thing I really like about the Benneli's is the ability to semi-custom fit the gun with the included stock shim kit.

Like you ever have to worry about me besting you! Thanks for all the help you guys and try to take it easy on an old man when lining up the course, Bentsight.