Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Choosing a Competition Pistol

Ray S.

Well, until Sept., mags are a big & expensive problem for those wishing to shoot (competitively) at the very top levels in Open and Limited Division.

Enter Limited 10 & Production: no mag excuses makes a number of guns viable. As for L10, a friend who shot on our team in South Africa at the last world shoot reports that the CZ single action guns had superb triggers. I have shot a CZ Standard IPSC - a purpose built .40 cal single action - that was very very accurate. The Italian firm Tanfoglio makes a gun imported into the USA as the EAA Silver Team which could be used in Limited 10. Any decent shooters use the Tanfoglio limited gun? How about the World Champion Eric Graufel(sp) - does that count? These 2 guns are viable contenders.

Don't count out the Glock. Its a very different gun than the CZ but I believe a .40 Glock placed in the top 10 in L10 at ehe nationals - without the need for "hi-caps". While I would not choose to shoot one, some top shooters have done well with the Sig & Beretta guns. Production brings up even more choices for suitable guns; I have personaly used CZ75 & 85 Combat guns, Jericho 941/IMI baby Eagle, Glock 17 & 19, as well as the often overlooked Steyr M9 in production.

Any decent shooters use the Tanfoglio limited gun? How about the World Champion Eric Graufel(sp) - does that count?

Apart from EG, shooting Standard with a Tanfoglio gun, long-time Italian Champion, WS XII 3rd overall in Standard Division, Adriano Santarcangelo, shoots this tanfoglio gun.

It is the Indian not the arrow. A good shooter can be competitive with a G35, a USP Expert or a CZ. Those seem to be the most adaptable to IPSC, and have each had high level competitors use them with great effect; each of those type of guns has made the "sweet 16" at the Lim Nats fo rinstance. Those guns could be used in IDPA ESP, production, USPSA Lim, L-10, prodution and International IPSC standard, or production depending on configuration. If I had to give up my beloved S_I's I would probably be equally, grudgingly happy with any of the three.

Disclaimer: I love single stacks, I have more than I can even count right now, but I could not in good conscience recommend a new shooter looking to be competitive use a skinny gun. You are limiting your future and options too much.

USPSA went off half cocked with L-10, it seemed to be more important to protect the S_I guns (which I have and shoot) than it was to get Springfield and Kimber in the game.

Between the two of them, Springfield and Kimber make about 200,000 guns a year vs. a few thousand from the S_I folks, but that just us wanting to stay poor and unsupported.

rant mode to standby...

You can adapt to most anything. Get something and works, then.....

DON'T SCREW WITH IT

...which seems to be the most common problem people have with any gun. Reliability is paramount. Everything else is secondary.

Stock Glock in your choice of calibers or a Stock CZ-75 in 40S&W the latter will need a trigger job. I would suggest Miossi Gun Works in Iowa, he does great work on CZ's and their clones.