Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magwell for Ruger Mk III

T Bacus

A couple of months ago I ran across a thread were a guy had fit a Techwell mag well to his MkIII. I an't seem to locate it, it might not even have been on this forum. If anyone has a link to it I would appriciate it if you could post it here.

Tim

I don't know if there was a forum post about this, but there was an article in Front Sight. Among other things, the gentleman had epoxied a TechWell to his 22/45 - not a MkIII.

If you want to do something similar, I believe Volquartsen makes some kind of base pad extension for the MkII and MkIII.

It was July/August 2011. The magwell I used was a Techwell XT that is the largest one they make. The gun has ZV composite grips that I machined to accept the tabs that Techwell has on their magwell. The frame is the correct width for the Techwell but I had to take a lot of material off the inside at the rear to get it to blend with the 22/45. I used Ed brown 1911 base pads on my mags, I lined up one of the screw holes with the dis-assembly hole put heavy duty black two way tape between the Ruger base pad and the Ed brown pad and used the other hole for one of the screws and trimmed the front and rear of the Ruger pad. I put a little bead of black silicon at the upper rear of the magwell to close a little gap but did not glue the magwell on like the Front Sight article stated. I used Ed Brown 1911 ext. mag release buttons on the mag release and the safety, you have to anneal the Ruger parts before you can drill and tap them. I wanted a safety more like a 1911, but couldn't come up with a design but the button works surprisingly well. (Tim I think I met you once up in Marysville a long time ago I was with Pat Kelley.) I just got home from a grave yard shift and am a little rummy so if I left anything out or you need any more info just holler.

Tim

• 1 year later...

HI there,

I'm a new member of this site and just wanted to let you all know that I have a Magwell for the Ruger Mark III steel frame pistol available.

Here is a link to the website. The site is very basic as have just started it tonight!

http://waldronmw.wix.com/mddracing#!magwell-photos/c1ka

It works very well, comes with the Magwell and six magazine extensions. It takes all of about ten minutes to install and only needs a 1/8th drill bit (and hand drill) to get it mounted.

Thanks for looking.

Matthew