Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heinie SlantPro QWIK Sights

Xander

Anybody here runs them either as a set or with a different front height? I'm looking for a replacement sight for my G17 for competition use. I also love to shoot at longer distances 50m farther. Any advice or suggestions will be great, thanks :)

I have them on my G17 IDPA SSP Pistol...actually have the straight eight nite site model since my G17 also doubles as my home defense gun.

I love the sights. It's my second set of Heinie sights on that gun. First set of non-quick original slant pros went dim after about 10 years so I got the new set to replace them. I like the quick sight much better. Much faster to acquire and align. Mine hits about 1.5 to 2 inches high at 25 yards and just about dead on at 50 with 115 gr American Eagle.

I have Hienie Slant Pro Straight 8 night sights on my duty 32C. They are made by Trijicon but the front is narrower, and the rear seems wider than the regular Trijicons. I really like them better that the stock sights, or the regular night sights. In low light it seems to be easier to line up one dot over the other than to line up three horizontally.

I don't personally care for the Slant Pros, and I say that as someone who used to run them on his carry guns. The problem is the forward sloping face of the rear sight, and the serrations on the face. While the serrations are touting as "breaking up distracting glare," in my experience the reverse is true, this sight's configuration causes distracting glare. The forward slanting rear sight face catches the sun, and the serrations give you even more glare.

I much prefer the treatment to the Warren Tactical Series on which the rear sight face is backdrafted, i.e. the sight is undercut so the top of the rear sight comes further to the rear than its bottom. What the means is that, unless light is coming in from the rear at a fairly flat angle (which rarely happens) the rear sight face is always dead black because it's always in shadow.