Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Iron Sighted Pistol in Open

DyNo!

It seems like two anywhere scoring is becoming popular in multigun and after the pistol shooting at the PROAM, I'm not really seeing many huge advantages with running a dot. In the last several matches I've participated in, the pistol targets are steel plates or paper targets that need two holes.

What would be the disadvantages of running irons in open for multigun? (in addition to a compensator and 170mm magazine)

Calling a delta on paper is pretty easy and those steel targets allow plenty of time during transitions for great sight alignment.

I don't think the dot gives a huge advantage but it gives an advantage nonetheless. Pistols have such a short sight radius compared to rifles, the dot's advantage is more pronounced on a handgun. It's a lot easier to shoot on the move and easier to make more technical shots with the dot. I think the dot is actually more important than the comp BUT you can have both. But you have young eyes!

What I have notice specially this year of shooting between SMM3G, Ironman and RM3G, is that pistol targets are getting smaller. From what I remember at SMM3G this year you probably could had gotten away using a Ironsighted pistol in open as I think the plate rack was the hardest target to hit at 15 yards or so. But at Ironman any time you transition to a pistol you were either shooting 4inch plates or clay birds at 15 yards, They only had one hoser stage with a pistol and I think it was only like 24 rounds. They made up for that by punishing people to hit round 10 inch Steel challenge plates twice at 50 yards x3. At this year's RM3G, the All pistol stage had Mini Targets through the whole damn thing and one reg size target at the very end, also big targets were mixed with smaller USPSA targets to create some interesting reloading oppurtuinity if you wanted to go with 1A's on the bigger targets. In sort I think Pistol shooting in 3gun is starting to become more precision based rather then hoser fest.

In sort I think Pistol shooting in 3gun is starting to become more precision based rather then hoser fest.

It all comes down to the MD/stage designer and in some sense, cost. Bigger targets cost more money. I was almost begging for some 1/2 size carboard targets at Ozark. There were THREE total paper targets for handgun, the rest was mostly 4" falling steel with some 1/3 size Metric shaped falling steel.

It seems like two anywhere scoring is becoming popular in multigun and after the pistol shooting at the PROAM, I'm not really seeing many huge advantages with running a dot. In the last several matches I've participated in, the pistol targets are steel plates or paper targets that need two holes.

What would be the disadvantages of running irons in open for multigun? (in addition to a compensator and 170mm magazine)

Calling a delta on paper is pretty easy and those steel targets allow plenty of time during transitions for great sight alignment.

For me the dot really shines as the distance increases. I am thinking of getting a Glock 34 and getting a ported barrel and putting a Trijicon RMR on it for multi gun matches without power factor.

Pat