Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WST inconsistent between loading sessions

GregJ

I've noticed lately that in between reloading sessions, I have to re-adjust the powder drop meter significantly to achieve the desired drop of WST. For my 45ACP loads, I normally use 4.8gr for 200gr SWC bullets. The die is a Hornady LNL with a Powder Funnel powder through expander. I've polished the inside of the Powder Funnel to minimize any powder hangups, and I have a baffle in the hopper. Everything appears to be clean with no internal bridging of powder. Last night I loaded a batch of MB LSWC and tonight when I checked the powder drop before loading another batch, I had to really screw in the meter as it was dropping about 5.1 gr. :surprise: I checked the drop on my RCBS Loadmaster 1500 digital scale, and I double-checked it against my RCBS 505 beam scale, both indicated same drop.

I normally use W231 for plated and jacketed bullets, and have never noticed this much of an adjustment needed between sessions. The loading bench is in the basement, which is pretty constant in temp and humidity.

Is this normal for WST?

Not in my experience, not at all. That stuff has been so consistent that I wonder if my scale has messed up and I keep checking it's zero. This is through a Hornady LNL and a Dillon powder measure. WST has always metered fantastic for me. Now the first throw or two of a reloading session will be a tad heavy, but after that it's perfect and I NEVER have to jack with the adjustment.

Edited by Shadowrider

Sounds like you got a screw loose! That is on the Micrometer insert, it has a way of working loose and then you get inconsistent powder drops. Been using WST in a LNL for 4 years dillion 2 years. Never had an issue.

If you are not using the micrometer insert than check to make sure your index isn't off so far that you are missing the brass with the powder.

The LNL powder measure and the inserts/ptx die etc need to be totally free of any lubricant, clean them with break cleaner.

Sounds like you got a screw loose! That is on the Micrometer insert, it has a way of working loose and then you get inconsistent powder drops. Been using WST in a LNL for 4 years dillion 2 years. Never had an issue.

If you are not using the micrometer insert than check to make sure your index isn't off so far that you are missing the brass with the powder.

The LNL powder measure and the inserts/ptx die etc need to be totally free of any lubricant, clean them with break cleaner.

CocoBolo, Sounds like you've been talking to my wife !!! :roflol: I knew you were a big user of WST and was hoping you would see this. I'm not using the Micrometer insert, the standard pistol insert.

The index is spot on, otherwise I belive other problems would show up as powder on the plate, crunched cases, seating problems, etc.

I usually use the Hornady One Shot to clean the press and dies. Occassionally I will clean out the powder drop with the One Shot, and follow up with a little powdered graphite run through it.

I'll try it tonight and see how much of a charge it drops, clean it up with brake cleaner, and try again.

:cheers:

I usually use the Hornady One Shot to clean the press and dies. Occassionally I will clean out the powder drop with the One Shot, and follow up with a little powdered graphite run through it.

I'll try it tonight and see how much of a charge it drops, clean it up with brake cleaner, and try again.

:cheers:

I'd bet a six pack that this is your problem right here. I used the Gun Cleaner and Dry Lube just like they do in the Hornady video on mine. Once...

I was swapping over to .223 and using BLC2. It totally caked up inside of the drop tube, sticking to it like a magnet. So I dug up the MSDS on it and found that it has a couple of different waxes in it. So it's brake cleaner, acetone, etc. for me from now on. Not a bad idea on the powdered graphite though, I suspect that's why you got it to work at all.

Ok guys, I'm beginning to think WST and me just aint gonna get along. <_< I took my powder drop completely apart and cleaned it good with carb and choke cleaner (no brake cleaner on hand, will get some this weekend), keeping it away from any rubber parts. There really was no goop inside, but there was a little build up on the rotor near the cavity. I put it together and ran another two batches (100 rnds each batch), and it's still acting up. I adjust the insert for 4.8gr (checking about 20 drops for consistency), and then run a batch of 100 rounds. After I finish checking each round of the batch with the Wilson cartridge gauge, I drop a single charge and weigh it, and it's 5.0 to 5.1 gr !!! :surprise: I drop a few more and it's back down to 4.8 It's like the powder is getting compressed into the rotor cavity during the short time it takes to check each round with the gauge.

I thought maybe it was the Powder Funnel, as the inside diameter is smaller than the Hornady pistol adapter, but I got similar results with it.

What I'm afraid of happening is if I'm called away in the middle of a batch (if you have a wife and kids, it WILL happen), and when I return the next round will have a charge higher than what it's supposed to have.

I'm at a loss. :huh:

I've noticed lately that in between reloading sessions, I have to re-adjust the powder drop meter significantly to achieve the desired drop of WST.

Have you chrono'd any of the light vs heavy loads?

If you're not getting unacceptable velocity dispersion, you

may not have a serious problem - especially if accuracy is

acceptable.

Jack

Are you leaving the handle in the down position between sessions?

Are you running the shell plate empty when you stop?

Handle-No, leaving it up.

Shell Plate-I've done both, run it empty, and stopped in middle of a batch, with same results.

I've noticed lately that in between reloading sessions, I have to re-adjust the powder drop meter significantly to achieve the desired drop of WST.

Have you chrono'd any of the light vs heavy loads?

If you're not getting unacceptable velocity dispersion, you

may not have a serious problem - especially if accuracy is

acceptable.

Jack

No I have not chroned loads that I specifically knew were a little heavy. I do know my 4.8gr load and 200gr Precision bullets out of my 5" Kimber recently chronoed a little over 166PF. So another .2gr probably is not enough to worry too much about. :blink:

Are you leaving the handle in the down position between sessions?

Are you running the shell plate empty when you stop?

Handle-No, leaving it up.

Shell Plate-I've done both, run it empty, and stopped in middle of a batch, with same results.

The powder is clearly settling in the measures cavity. When you stop for a short time stop with the handle in the down position. When you stop for a longer time throw several charges to settle things. ANYTIME, you put powder in the measure settle the powder by tapping the side of the measure a bunch of times before throwing the first charge. Then throw ten or so charges before measuring to make sure things are accurate. Always add powder with the handle in the down position.

Do you have a baffle in your measure? Are you using the pistol insert? I had my LNL before they shipped with a baffle (at least I think they do now?), but I picked up the RCBS universal baffle for about $5 and bent it very slightly. It worked fine in the LNL measure. I was also using the plain jane metering insert instead of the pistol or micrometer insert. I've heard of issues with very small charges and needing to use the pistol insert, but everything I've heard it was for charges under 3.0 grains, which you are not. I threw many, many, many 3.5 grain charges in 9mm with this setup.

Hope you get it figured out.

Edit: Now I see in post #4 you are using the pistol insert. Just for giggles, swap out the thing to the standard rifle insert and see what happens. The pistol insert is pretty small in it's opening, which shouldn't really be a problem, but give the other one a go. That's the only one I had and never had to even try the pistol insert.

Edited by Shadowrider

@ Shadowrider - Yes, I have powder baffle in it. When I picked up the LNL used, it had the standard rifle rotor and insert in it, and it drove me crazy trying to get consistent drops - it was horrific! Not about to go down that road again.

@ 98sr20ve - Very good points, I think you are right about keeping the handle down at times. WST is "fluffier" than other powders I've used, and not had this happen before, but it all makes sense.

Thanks all. :cheers:

Just some additional thoughts to tie all this together.

It's clearly a settling issue.

The Hornady has a very small hole in the pistol Micrometer

Sometimes the small hole gets packed well, sometimes it doesn't

So

you might be better off with the Rifle meter.

you might be better off with a pistol micro meter (or rifle), a full Powder measure that is very well settled and no Powder baffle (never let it go below 1/2 full, always fill it with the handle in the down position.

You just need to fiddle with these things.