Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

can loose grip screws cause...

Mat Price

ok I have been having weird accurcey issues with one of my trubor open guns. Gun is a short wide sti frame and trubor t-2 barrel in 9mm. I have a cameron mount on the gun and I been adjusting load ( 5.2 of auto comp/1.165 steel 7.1 AC/1.165 both with 124 JHP) This load shoots one hole @ 10 yards out of my other trubor, but accuracy comes and goes with this one. well tonight I was having a frustrating sighting session when i started having odd malfunctions I never have Double feeds, FTF). I noticed the grip screws were loose enough I could turn them with my fingers. So i tightened them down and put blue lock tight on them. I am waiting till tomorrow to shoot it again and see what i get. But can loose grip screws cause poor groups like 3 inches @ 15 yards and frequent lose of zero? I have had to tighten them before but they have never been this loose. Just wondering i mean I will know for sure tomorrow once the lock tight has set for sure.

On my SVI Action Pistol the accuracy goes off when the grip screws are loose - however the groups are like 3 inches at 50 yards !

Sounds more like the projectile is hitting the compensator baffles - EGW & Nowlin make great bore-piloted reamers for fixing the problem.

I have the Nowlin and use it regularly to remove lead buildup after shooting a couple of thousand lead boolits.

can loose grip screws cause poor groups like 3 inches @ 15 yards and frequent lose of zero?

I had exactly the same problem - the grip screws were loose, and I had

to keep resighting the gun, sometimes it didn't even last an entire match:(

You should be fine now that you'd loc-tited them - just keep checking them

every once in a while.

If this happens again, and the grip screws are tight - check all your other

screws.

Good luck,

Jack

When boolits are hitting the comp, you may get 3 or 4 good hits and then one that is way off. Look in the comp after shooting, if you see little shiney flakes in the comp those are pieces of bullet jacket, also if you look close at the holes in the comp walls you may notice a faint shiney or copper colored line, in the direction bullets travel. If you have this then you need to align ream the comp.

nice to see the screws may have beenthe culprit, if it wasnt fixed i was going to toss out there, yrs ago i had some POI problems with mine and it turned out i had a cracked frame...only visable when a full mag was put in and put pressure on the frame did i seethe point of separation....