Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

An easier way to cut external threads, 1/2 X 13 ?

Chills1994

Hi all,

I am just wondering if there are any tips for making it easier and faster to cut external (male) threads on some 1/2 inch diameter rod???

I spun the ends of the rods against a 12 inch disc sander to put a slight taper on them. I also use tapping oil.

The smallish handles of the die wrench are getting my hands sore. I will go like a quarter turn... Hear it cutting ... Then back it off to break the chips. I will get so far and then unscrew the die box completely, tap it against the workbench to get all the chips out. Then start again.

Any advice?

If you have some way to thin the OD of the rod so it corresponds to the actual thread height of your thread (since threads are not perfectly pointy, the spec is not 0.5"), that will help. It will probably be tough to do that without a lathe though.

1/2-13 threads are 0.483" diameter

1/2-20, 0.489"

Per Machinery's handbook

1/2-13 UNC class 2A threads; major dia. min. .4876, major dia. max. .4985

If your Die is adjustable, turn the adjusting screw in a bit......not too much or you could brake the die or it may not fit back into your die stock.

Back it off for the first pass, then re adjust back to origional setting and take another pass. you can check fit with a nut. Maybe even try 3 passes. As a tip........for any threading a cheap alternative (and safe) to cutting oil is canola oil.

If you have a choice in material selection choose 12L14 or 12L15. Free machining steels. Will cut easier and produce better surface finish.

Edited by tracker

Per Machinery's handbook

1/2-13 UNC class 2A threads; major dia. min. .4876, major dia. max. .4985

I was figuring a 1A would probably be ok, seeing as how he's doing it by hand with a die ;)

The other alternative is to just go get some all-thread and weld a bit of that on the end.

Thanks for the replies everyone. :cheers:

I didn't know that about the actual thread dimensions.

The rods I am using now measure around .501 or .502.

I am so glad I whittled a taper to the ends with the disc sander first. That made things so much easier getting the die started.

It was taking me about 7 minutes per each end of the rod to thread.

I ended up putting a cheater pipe to my vise's handle so the rods wouldn't spin.

With vises that are meant to swivel...well...I have to question where they put the clamping bolt and handle that actually locks everything down to the base. :angry: I am half tempted to cut off the handle, unscrew the bolt, and then weld both halves back together, permanently.

I will have to price out half inch smooth rod versus half inch all thread.... maybe for the Mark II version I might just go with all thread instead of sinking all that time into cutting threads on the end.