Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hiring a 50 bmg rifle in Arizona, Nevada or California

vscorsa

Hi All,

I am an Australian heading to the US for 5 weeks and was hoping to find a range that I can hire a 50bmg to shoot on. Where I live in Aus they are banned so we don't have access to this caliber unless we are in the army.

We are flying into LA then driving the loop through Vegas, upto San Fran then back down to LA. I am also considering driving down into Arizona if there is a range close to shoot at.

In terms of shooting I have shot pistols and rifles for about 16 years, at the moment I primarily shoot IPSC and hunt with the rifles.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Just a friendly reminder, courtesy our pals at the ATF....

Renting, or borrowing, any firearm as a non-resident is a felony, unless you have either:

a) a valid US hunting license

or

B) an approved Form 6 NIA.

The Vegas ranges seem to get away with it since they have someone standing next to you the whole time and that person pretyt much does all the gun handling except pulling the trigger.

Q: I’m a nonimmigrant alien who is coming to the United States for two weeks to go hunting. Can I rent a firearm in the United States to use on this trip? What if I want to go to a shooting range one day — can I rent a firearm there as well?

As long as you possess a valid hunting license from a State within the United States, you may rent firearms to hunt and to use at a shooting range. If you do not have the hunting license, your possession of the firearms and ammunition will be unlawful. The hunting license does not have to be from the State where you will be possessing the guns and ammunition.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(5) and (9), 922(g)(5)(B) and 922(y)]

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/nonimmigrant-aliens.html

Edited by gose