Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

button for next shooter

colt

And if you are using a laptop, this $20 investment is well worth it:

211294_sk_lg.jpg

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/211294/Ativa-USB-Wired-Numeric-Keypad-Black/

(I have the MS Bluetooth version I got on discount, but am severely missing not have a Backspace key on the MS keypad. Maybe I should have gone for the cheaper keypad.)

When I do stats at a major match, I always use a laptop and an external USB keyboard plugged in.

I learned a long time ago to just type in the shooter number. Whether or not they are in order. My fingers are already hovering right above the numbers anyways ....... makes it pretty easy to do .

I got a desk top this year and figured out the number key pad. I did scores for 4 years on a lap top but didn't know that I needed a number key pad. I haven't tried typing the shooter number in. I put the score sheets in order from 1 to 40 or so. Use the mouse to jump to the next shooter.

I thought one of the buttons on the key board would have to do it if I knew witch one.

Thanks Brent

Just in case you didn't know, pressing "+" on the number jumps to the time field.

So if you check the "Enter to confirm", and uncheck the "Use verify score box", and you had the 2 following scoresheets:

Shooter Number 7: A: 12, B: 0, C: 12, D: 8, Time: 27.84

Shooter Number 37: A: 24: B: 0, C: 0, D: 8, Time: 30.01

You can quickly go:

7<enter>, 12<enter>, <enter>, 12<enter>, 8<enter>, +, 27.84, *

37<enter>, 24<enter>, <enter>, <enter>, 8<enter>, +, 30.01, *

Once you get used to typing in the shooter number to advance to the next shooter ......... there's no need to put score sheets in order from 1-40 anymore. B)

Just like most stats people do at a major match. We don't have time to put them in order ..... just do them as they come in to the stats shack.

Once you get used to typing in the shooter number to advance to the next shooter ......... there's no need to put score sheets in order from 1-40 anymore. B)

Just like most stats people do at a major match. We don't have time to put them in order ..... just do them as they come in to the stats shack.

Yes, instead of ordering the score sheets from 1-40, you'll be sorting a batch of scoresheets to have the ones with penalties on top, and everything else after that. Once you've gone through the initial set of sheets with penalties and have to tab/enter no the appropriate penalty fields, then you can start cruising through the rest of the score sheets where you can use the "+" to jump to the time field, and the "*" key to jump to the next shooter.

Edited by Skydiver

All of us (what I want to call) master-class stats folks keypunch exclusively from the competitor number on the scoresheet label. That way, we can just blaze through a wad a scoresheets. I don't know about other folks, but Joy Hyden and I at the nationals can each keypunch an average of 6 scoresheets a minute accurately on 10-key. (You've GOT to have 10-key!) That's important when you have 18 stages times 400 competitors. I even run my local match the same. Scoresheets are at the stages and I ask the competitors to remember and write down their competitor numbers on the scoresheets. The vast majority of them do. For the few that don't, well, you start to mentally connect a name with a number after a couple of stages.

So, you all go through the (local) match one stage at a time for all the shooters, using the keypad to switch between shooters, then go to the next stage and repeat for all shooters?

More like 1 shooter at a time starting at stage 1 till stage 5

When I first started doing scores we used 1 score sheet for every stage. Like a big match.

We started are club so I didn't have anyone to show me how to do it or short cuts.( should of ask here a few years ago)

I did them on a lap top. I sort all the shooters out shooter 1 on top till the last shooter. Then I sorted stage 1 on top till stage 5. What a time killer.

This year I made one score sheet for up to 6 stages and got a desk top with a key board. What a eye opener when I figured out the short cuts on the key board. Typing the shooter number in and now I don't have to sort score sheets at all. I probable will before I leave the club so I know I have all of them.

It might help new score keepers if there was a lock thread on how to , and short cuts for winscore to make life a little simpler.

So, you all go through the (local) match one stage at a time for all the shooters, using the keypad to switch between shooters, then go to the next stage and repeat for all shooters?

No, of course not. Squads bring their scoresheets in as they finish a given stage. Scoring at our local match at South River proceeds exactly like it does at the nationals. We're done with scoring before we leave the range. Sometimes we'll even stop by the clubhouse and glom onto their wifi and upload before we drive out the front gate.

No, of course not. Squads bring their scoresheets in as they finish a given stage. Scoring at our local match at South River proceeds exactly like it does at the nationals. We're done with scoring before we leave the range. Sometimes we'll even stop by the clubhouse and glom onto their wifi and upload before we drive out the front gate.

We that is impossible, of course. (in our case) ;)

[Hey Chris] How do you do it when you take all the score sheets home after the match and do the scores at home?

What I am asking, really, is if there is a keyboard short cut...once you are on a shooter...to tab between stages? Or, do you go to the mouse?

What I am asking, really, is if there is a keyboard short cut...once you are on a shooter...to tab between stages? Or, do you go to the mouse?

I'll answer that. Yes. There's a radio button group at the top of the Score Entry form that gives you a choice of "One Stage" or "All Stages". If "All Stages" is selected, when you're done entering the competitor's score for stage one, the system automatically swaps to stage 2, etc, etc. You don't have to touch anything; it just happens.

I've always wanted to say this to Kyle ................. Try a search :rolleyes: LOL

When I get home with the score sheets, I don't put them in ANY kind of order ...... not numerical, or alphabetical, not by height, weight, age, DQ, DNF, or penalties of any kind .........

I just do like Bill said, and click the radio button that says ALL STAGES, and key in the shooter number, Alphas, Bravos, Charlies, Deltas, No-Shoots, Procedurals, etc. All in order ''as I see them'' on the score sheet. ;)

I have pretty quick eyes, and I catch little things as I go. Hopefully the stages are laid out in order [1-5 or whatever] and if I have to flip the page over, hopefully I don't have to rotate the page. Just a single flip, and then I can breeze through them.

[bill] I never checked myself to see how many I was doing in 1 minutes time when I ran stats at the Ohio sectional, but I'd be willing to bet it was somewhere in between 4-6 stages per minute. Depending on handwriting, and mathematical errors / typos.