Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR FTE - extractor spring replacement?

chp5

I have approximately 7,000 rounds through my AR. Yesterday, it started having failures to extract. I believe it’s attributable to a weak extractor spring.

How often should I change out that spring?

Are the Dfender d-rings worth the $?

Thanks.

I added the Dfender to my 20" after some FTE problems. I would get a FTE after every 5 or so rounds.

After I installed the Dfender it's been running 100% (which includes a 700 round class and 2 or 3 practice sessions with 120 rounds each).

I've yet to try it, but I bought some Wolfe extra power springs. I tried it with the Dfender but it was way too stiff.

I've read that some people ran it with just a extra power spring (w/o an insert). I set up my carbine just with an extra power spring only but I have yet to see if it is good to go.

My memory is kind of fuzzy, but IIRC Cooley runs his guns with the extractor springs from these guys w/o an insert. Rich or Dave can deny or confirm my recollection.

http://www.sawlesales.com/jsps/sku.jsp?fie...t&value=SA05005

http://www.sawlesales.com/

Cy,

Before changing springs or adding anything, have you changed ammo? Different ammo may equal FTE problems especially with the steel case ammo available Generally, I change the spring as needed or when I feel the extraction force is not there anymore. It's more of a "feel" thing. Wolf extra power springs work and you could buy a lot of springs for the price of Dfender ring, IMHO.

If you're going to be at the Area6 3G - hook up with me. I have something much better and cheaper than the Dfender ring.

Mig

Mig - yes, I'll be at A6 3G (hopefully with a functional rifle). I'll look you up - thanks.

BTW - I didn't change ammo.

Benny - I'll start doing that. Thanks.