Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CCI Primers

• 3 months later...

I haven't read or heard this but, in my experience, I haven't had any ignition issues with CCI Small Pistol Primer in my Glock 34 where I do have encountered some Winchester SPP that the same pistol won't ignite. I am not saying that there is anything wrong with Winchester primers, just that I have had a few primers that won't ignite. Probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 or 2 every 100 rounds or so.

I found the website that I read it on here is what it says :

"These are the "bread-and-butter" of reloading, the most commonly called for primers in reloading recipes. CCI standard primers are remarkably clean burning, leaving primer pockets cleaner and extending the time between pocket cleaning. That's a hugh benefit for progressive reloaders. They are more sensitive and easier to seat than older CCI primers, also engineered for smooth feeding in automated equipment."

I'm not sure if the forum rules allow posting links to this stuff.

I ordered a bunch (about 100,000) of cci APS primers this summer and so far they seem the same hardness as the older CCI primers were.

The boxes and labeling is different from the older stuff so unless this is a recent (last 2 to 3 months) change, they seem the same hardness. I base this on particular guns have occasional hard times lighting off cci primers and they were doing the same thing on the new loads.

Please do post up what they say. I know that I have went to using Federal primers exclusively in my competition guns and buy them in qtys of 5K or 10K. I'm wondering if CCI has finally got tired of their competitors getting all those 5K/10K sales.

My guess is these new softer primers are not in circulation yet, even though wideners claims they have them. Also if you look on cci's page they have the same statement I posted earlier with a picture of what i'm assuming is the new box.... Still waiting to hear back from them...